[SOLVED] Integrated graphics cpu

XploiT_3162

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hello, I'm building a budget PC for basic schoolwork and browsing. I'm not going to get a GPU at the moment. What CPU should I go for? Preferably i5.

Thank you guys for your help, I'm new to this, was going to build one a year ago but never did, forgot everything.

Solution
Any B450 series or x470 series board, just to rule out any chance of incompatibility that might still exist, like in the 3xx series. X470 is largely overkill unless u want multiple graphics cards or tons of drives lol. Just read the reviews thoroughly I suppose.

If your asking for intel, any b360 board should do as well
Integrated graphics is fine for the processes you mentioned...(I used integrated graphics with no complaints for one month waiting on a GPU about 2 years ago...)

The i5-8400 is a 6 core/6 thread CPU that should suffice for 99% of most folks...You'd want a B360 mainboard, and at lest 8 GB of DDR4 RAM (2 x 4 GB modules), but, 16 GB is better...

If adding a GPU for gaming later, get a 600-650 watt PSU; if not, a 430 watt PSU from EVGA is fine...

InvalidError

Titan
If it isn't going to get used for anything much beyond high-school homework and light to moderate gaming, then even a Ryzen 2200G should be more than enough. I'm still using an i5-3470 (about similar CPU performance to the 2200G) and it is still perfectly fine for the vast majority of what I do (CAD, programming, editing photos, documents, etc.) on a regular basis. The only thing that makes me wish for a faster PC right now is video editing and I don't do anywhere near enough of it on a regular basis to justify an upgrade for that.

I'd opt for the 2200g that Invalid mentioned, maybe even 2400g if you can swing it, it'll be a more budget build then an i5 and will more the likely have better upgrade options down the line. For basic school work, no need to go past 8gb ram. Make sure to pick up an ssd to make the pc feel real snappy.

If dead set on intel, i3's are now quad core and perform like previous gen i5's.

Reactions: XploiT_3162

XploiT_3162

Prominent
May 12, 2017
I'd opt for the 2200g that Invalid mentioned, maybe even 2400g if you can swing it, it'll be a more budget build then an i5 and will more the likely have better upgrade options down the line. For basic school work, no need to go past 8gb ram. Make sure to pick up an ssd to make the pc feel real snappy.

If dead set on intel, i3's are now quad core and perform like previous gen i5's.
Thank you for your input, I'm building this for a family and I suggested 2200G too, but he wants to go for Intel only.

XploiT_3162

Prominent
May 12, 2017

What mobo should I go for, will probably get a GPU down the line and more ram, thanks

Any B450 series or x470 series board, just to rule out any chance of incompatibility that might still exist, like in the 3xx series. X470 is largely overkill unless u want multiple graphics cards or tons of drives lol. Just read the reviews thoroughly I suppose.

If your asking for intel, any b360 board should do as well

Last edited:
Solution