Integrated graphics (intel R), and Dedicated GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1050), laptop.

Jan 23, 2019
Hi guys, so I got a new laptop, and it has an Nvidia GTX 1050 GPU inside of it, and integrated intel R grapics.
I'm running AutoCAD and see that both the Integrated Grapics (intel R) and my GPU (Nvidia GTX 1050), are running at the same time.
Is that how it should be, or is there changes to be done?

Solution
The way modern laptops with Optimus graphics - combo Intel+Nvidia (or Intel+AMD) - work is that the Intel integrated GPU is always on and always drives the screen. The Nvidia GPU acts as a co-processor. A game, or in your case AutoCAD renders a frame using the Nvidia GPU. When the frame is completed, the Optimus video drivers transfer that frame from the Nvidia GPU to the Intel GPU. The Intel GPU then displays it on the screen.

That's how you're able to pick and chose which apps use the Intel GPU, which use the Nvidia GPU, and run them simultaneously. The ones you pick to use the Intel GPU use the Intel GPU. The ones you pick to use the Nvidia use it as a co-processor, and the video drivers transfer its results to the Intel GPU...
The way modern laptops with Optimus graphics - combo Intel+Nvidia (or Intel+AMD) - work is that the Intel integrated GPU is always on and always drives the screen. The Nvidia GPU acts as a co-processor. A game, or in your case AutoCAD renders a frame using the Nvidia GPU. When the frame is completed, the Optimus video drivers transfer that frame from the Nvidia GPU to the Intel GPU. The Intel GPU then displays it on the screen.

That's how you're able to pick and chose which apps use the Intel GPU, which use the Nvidia GPU, and run them simultaneously. The ones you pick to use the Intel GPU use the Intel GPU. The ones you pick to use the Nvidia use it as a co-processor, and the video drivers transfer its results to the Intel GPU for display.

So yes, both should be running at the same time.

Solution