[SOLVED] Integrated Graphics on a Processor vs Chipset

werty12345

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2015
Hi folks,

These days, we see processors having integrated graphics capabilities and we also see graphics integrated in a chipset. What is the difference between these both. I know that a dedicated graphics card is the best option to go but wanted to understand the difference in performance of a processor vs chipset in terms of graphics.

I will be buying a new assembled PC and will need to choose the processor, motherboard (chipset), etc. Considering that I will not buy a GPU (graphics card), I have some specific questions in my mind:

1. Should I choose a processor with integrated graphics and not bother about the graphics in a chipset?
  2. Should I choose a processor without integrated graphics and only see the graphics in a chipset?
  3. Buy a processor without integrated graphics in a processor or a chipset? In this case, will I be able to play youtube videos, watch movies, etc.?
  4. In case I buy a graphics card, then is it ok if I buy a processor and a mobo that do not have integrated graphics in them (processor & chipset)?
Thanks

Solution
In this day and age, all integrated GPU's will be found on the processor, for Intel it's an iGPU and for AMD, they are known as APU's. You won't get a GPU soldered onto a desktop motherboard, not unless you're dealing with the old Core 2 Duo's or the G41 chipset on the Intel side or the G series of chipsets for the AMD boards meant for the AM2(+) and AM3(+) platforms.

My question is, what sort of hardware are you looking at and what sort of tasks will you be taxing the system with?

Lutfij

Titan
In this day and age, all integrated GPU's will be found on the processor, for Intel it's an iGPU and for AMD, they are known as APU's. You won't get a GPU soldered onto a desktop motherboard, not unless you're dealing with the old Core 2 Duo's or the G41 chipset on the Intel side or the G series of chipsets for the AMD boards meant for the AM2(+) and AM3(+) platforms.

My question is, what sort of hardware are you looking at and what sort of tasks will you be taxing the system with?

Solution
chipsets haven't had gpus in them since like 2003.
cpus with no igpu (like intels F series, or ever non G amd varient) need a dedicated gpu.

say you have a ryzen 5 3600
it wont show you a display unless you have a dedicated graphics card.
same with intel F series like the i5 10400kf.

If you have a ryzen 5 3400G or Intel i5 10400k
It would work

Reactions: werty12345

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks,

These days, we see processors having integrated graphics capabilities and we also see graphics integrated in a chipset. What is the difference between these both. I know that a dedicated graphics card is the best option to go but wanted to understand the difference in performance of a processor vs chipset in terms of graphics.

I will be buying a new assembled PC and will need to choose the processor, motherboard (chipset), etc. Considering that I will not buy a GPU (graphics card), I have some specific questions in my mind:

1. Should I choose a processor with integrated graphics and not bother about the graphics in a chipset?
  2. Should I choose a processor without integrated graphics and only see the graphics in a chipset?
  3. Buy a processor without integrated graphics in a processor or a chipset? In this case, will I be able to play youtube videos, watch movies, etc.?
  4. In case I buy a graphics card, then is it ok if I buy a processor and a mobo that do not have integrated graphics in them (processor & chipset)?
Thanks
The only place that motherboard graphics still exist is in server motherboards. All desktop motherboards are CPU integrated graphics or none.

1. Yes. Integrated graphics will do the job.
  2. No. As a practical matter, such options do not exist.
  3. No. Today, any processor with integrated graphics can play HD movies just fine.
  4. If you buy a processor without integrated graphics, you will need a discrete graphics card.
The addition of such a card is going to be more expensive than just using the integrated graphics option.
Discrete graphics cards are only needed for fast action gaming.

I might add, that whatever you buy should include a ssd for windows.
It makes everything you do quicker

TRENDING THREADS