Question Integrated graphics or no?

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Had a bit of curiosity recently. My build is currently running an Intel i-5 9400f along with a 1660ti.

If something suddenly happened to my GPU and it stopped completely functioning, would my display not light up or something since my CPU does not come included with integrated graphics?

Also in the near future when I have a bit more money, would it or not be worth getting a CPU with integrated graphics to lean on in case such aforementioned issue (if it occurs) happens?

Also finally, as time goes on and potentially prices fall, would it be worth upgrading to a 10th generation i-5 CPU for the hyperthreading technology?

Upgrading on the same gen is not worth it no matter what because you already have a pretty good CPU in that gen, so the money would just be too much unless you can sell your CPU for a good price and get the same CPU with iGPU for the same price or close to it, and even then the hassle is pretty big just for that.
Also finally, as time goes on and potentially prices fall, would it be worth upgrading to a 10th generation i-5 CPU for the hyperthreading technology?
You do know that we are on 12th gen right now right?! If 10th gen isn't already cheap enough it won't get any cheaper, as time goes by and less and less of 10th gen is left over prices will raise again.

Had a bit of curiosity recently. My build is currently running an Intel i-5 9400f along with a 1660ti.

If something suddenly happened to my GPU and it stopped completely functioning, would my display not light up or something since my CPU does not come included with integrated graphics?

Also in the near future when I have a bit more money, would it or not be worth getting a CPU with integrated graphics to lean on in case such aforementioned issue (if it occurs) happens?

It an insurance policy but what's the cost?
Will you need a new mobo?

It's your call what you want to do but consider saving longer and jumping to a 12th gen or maybe a 13th gen.

KyaraM

Admirable
Eh, don't think it's worth it in your case since you already got a good CPU. That's more something to consider for the future. Also, as others stated, if you want to upgrade, do it correctly and get a 12th/13th gen Intel (or a comparable Ryzen 7000 if you like them more and they offer better value for the price). You will end up with drastically more performance, meaning it will last you much longer than a chip released two generations back.