[SOLVED] Integrated Graphics v/s onboard graphics

VrushankD

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
I am confused between the terms integrated graphics and onboard graphics. Are these two terms synonymous or are they different?

The reason I ask is because as per what I have read, if a CPU has no integrated graphics, the motherboard would need a dedicated graphics card to display anything on the monitor.

Now I currently have an old build which I am planning to upgrade. Below are the components (of relevance):

Computer type PC/Desktop
CPU AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Graphics Card Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270x Vapor 2GB OC

Recently, when my card was out for repair, I connected my monitor to the DVI port on the motherboard. The system boot up and showed the display driver as Radeon 4250. This, I am understanding, is the onboard graphics, yes?

However, if I see the specs of the above CPU on this site, it states that it does not have integrated graphics. How, am I then, able to use the system without the graphics card?

If the above behavior is expected, and if I now upgrade to a motherboard with support for integrated graphics and buy an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, will I still be able to use the system without my card?

Solution
Onboard graphics - graphics chip is integrated into motherboard.
Integrated graphics - graphics chip is integrated either into cpu or motherboard.
On modern systems integrated graphics live in CPU.

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H - has onboard integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics.
On-board and integrated graphics are the same. It just means your CPU is handling the graphics.

As far as yout system working without a card, if that is infact the CPU you have it shouldn't. You must have your system specs wrong.

A Ryzen 3600 doesn't not have any integrated graphics, so you would need a video card. The only Ryzens with integrated are the 2200/2400G and the 3200/3400G CPUs

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
That Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H has onboard graphics built in.

Integrated graphics are built into the actual CPU such as the Ryzen 3200g.

So they are similar things but either part of the motherboard or CPU.

The Ryzen 3600 doesn't have any integrated graphics so you would either need a CPU with integrated or a motherboard with onboard graphics.

The 3200g has surprisingly good performance for graphics but a dedicated graphics card gives far better results than either integrated or onboard.

The Ryzen 3600 is a powerful CPU so together with a decent graphics card you could have a good gaming system but obviously at more expense.
On a budget the 3200g is decent enough but will have less performance.

It depends what you want your PC for really as to how much you spend.

Andy

Integrated graphics - graphics chip is integrated either into cpu or motherboard.

Reactions: VrushankD
Solution

VrushankD

Distinguished
May 7, 2015

Okay, so as I understand, because the motherboard has its own graphics, it actually does not rely on the CPU having it and that is the reason I can use the system without the card?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I would point out that over the course of the last decade, integrated/on-board graphics have shifted from the NorthBridge, a chip on the motherboard, to being integrated into the CPU. Using SkyNetRising's definitions, On-board graphics are a thing of the past and won't be found on modern systems.

-Wolf sends

I would point out that over the course of the last decade, integrated/on-board graphics have shifted from the NorthBridge, a chip on the motherboard, to being integrated into the CPU. Using SkyNetRising's definitions, On-board graphics are a thing of the past and won't be found on modern systems.

-Wolf sends
This is incorrect as many server/workstation boards still have onboard video since modern xeon processors don't have integrated video. These motherboards can also be used for non-server/workstation builds and many can accept icore processors as well as the xeons and many times dual processors (xeon only).