Integrated Radeon HD4200 or GeForce 9600?

saintdangerous

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I just bought a ASUS M4A785-M motherboard and I was wondering if it would be better to use the on-board video or install my old EVGA 512-P3-N963-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 card. The new mobo comes with integrated ATI Radeon HD4200 video.

I will be playing computer games and would obviously want the best performance. However, the on-board video does have HDMI output and I was thinking that it might be cool to hook it up to an older 26” HD 720p TV (if that is possible?) . If the GeForce 9600 GSO is better for gaming, do you think it would be worth taking a performance hit to be able to use the HDMI and big TV?

I have been out of the PC hardware loop for awhile now and I thought that I would turn to the pros for help. Thanks in advance!

Solution
If the main reason to use the on-board was to connect to your TV, why not just get this. You will have to send audio signal through another cable, because DVI doesn't transmit audio and therefore won't be included in the HDMI.

Also note that a 720p HDTV is considered rather low-res in the computing world, your smaller computer monitor might actually give you a better image quality.

saintdangerous

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Thank you for the info. Would it be stupid to still want to use the HD4200's HDMI with my 26” HD 720p TV? I guess I am just excited that I could hook it up to my TV :sarcastic: because I have a rather small monitor. Or would the loss in performance make it unjustifiable? Thanks again!

Oh yes, any integrated chip is merely there so your computer can display and browse the internet. There is no intention for gaming in standard integration.

Zenthar

Distinguished
If the main reason to use the on-board was to connect to your TV, why not just get this. You will have to send audio signal through another cable, because DVI doesn't transmit audio and therefore won't be included in the HDMI.

Also note that a 720p HDTV is considered rather low-res in the computing world, your smaller computer monitor might actually give you a better image quality.

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished
Contrary to other local opinions I'm impressed with the 4200 chip on my MB. I've been running HL2 as smootlyl as it ever has run on a powerful card. I'm going to install a newer game just to test the limits but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.