Question Integrity Checker found quite a bit of issues.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
A friend of mine experiences abrupt crashes that cause a system reboot at random times. I asked to run the sfc /scannow command and it found a whole lot of issues that it ran operations on.

Here is the CBS log that shows a bunch of operations being done.

What could this indicate? I haven't seen too many CBS logs in my life so not sure if this volume of problems means anything in particular. One thing to note is that he has an ADATA SSD... which is not much of a known brand... So I was thinking if maybe this is a sign the SSD isn't storing data correctly, and therefore causes a bunch of corruptions throughout system files. That said, I did run a checkdisk and it didnt find any problems, although I have seen SSDs that pass this test during the early stage of their failure.

Any suggestions?

Colif

Win 11 Master
not a well known brand... remembers they made floppy disks 20 years ago...

i can't say I seen a cbs log quite so long before, was starting to wonder if it had an end.

friend could run this as well
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Oh my goodness I am so sorry for the late response, I never got a notification that you responded to my message. I will tell him to run the command and get back to you if there are any results.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
unknown.png

We completed the scan and it reported good results. I suppose I am safe from blaming the operating system or the SSD for random reboots. I've also checked S.M.A.R.T status and re-run the integrity check multiple times throughout this whole time, and everything shows good.

Now... How all these corruptions made it into the system I am not sure. It is weird, especially because you mentioned that its abnormally long of a log. The system remains stable under a GPU and CPU stress test, so I have not much of an idea when it comes to what to blame.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
I did look through Event Viewer. Windows showed the usual critical error that "Windows did not shutdown cleanly" which is self-explonatory since it randomly reboots wihtout notice. I looked for other logs that come before it, to see maybe if I can see any other critical errors that indicate something else, but nothing. Just the usual Information type logs.

It's not a BSOD, so I didn't really think of using that software but since it collects more than BSOD information, I may give it a try and report back.

Thank you again.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
unknown.png

Here they are. I should of have mentioned them in the thread originally, but as its a friend's computer, I don't always have access ofc.

The power supply is a CX750M, runs fine under a stress test even if held for 20 minutes. The problem doesn't seem power related.

Colif

Win 11 Master
lots of memory leaks but its not just in 1 program each time, its all over the place. They are normally caused by drivers. Unlikely to cause a restart. 2 happened in Chrome, rest in games which seems normal. They show as RADAR pre leaks.. I was just curious what radar stood for - Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution (RADAR) - and it seems MIcrosoft don't understand how acronyms work. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...nd-2008/cc774730(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

nothing here that offers any clue as to restarts.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
SMARTs are okay, PSU performs okay under stress, CBS shows only double-owned errors in SFC part (hint: in CBS, SFC actions are tagged with [SR]) which is not a corruption at all, the rest of the log can be caused by enabling/disabling Windows features. The next part I'd stress would be the RAM. 32 GB Unknown @1066 MHz sounds phony, at best. Put it under the heatlamp using Memtest86 https://www.memtest86.com/index.html (comes with instructions) and run it for at least 8 passes (takes an overnight, mostly), you're looking for absolutely zero errors.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
RAM. 32 GB Unknown @1066 MHz sounds phony, at best. Put it under the heatlamp using Memtest86 https://www.memtest86.com/index.html (comes with instructions) and run it for at least 8 passes (takes an overnight, mostly), you're looking for absolutely zero errors.
Oh yes, it's odd its showing it as unknown, but its G.Skill RIPJaws (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) at a 8GBx4 configuration (the motherboard does some trickery to run it in dual-channel rather than quad-channel) so it's not unknown. I ran Windows Memory Diagonist already and it did a single pass without errors. But I definately didn't do eight passes, so maybe I'll have to.

It was running at 3200MHz at 1.368v, but I tried underclocking it to 2133MHz default clock by simply disabling the XMP profile so I could see what would happen and same result.

I really don't know what to do. For now, i'll reinstall Windows to absolutely be positive this isn't a software thing.

Reactions: howtobeironic