Question Intel® Pentium® Processor E6500 for office work and browsing?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hey guys is e6500 cpu dual core good enough for microsoft office programs and web browsing only? I have only 4gb of ram to go with it too. Can i upgrade and run well on windows 10 as well?

Yes, you can run Microsoft offoce programs on that pc. Web browsing on this system will work ok, but script heavy sites may be slower. Youtube might not work well.

Windows 10 will install and run, but not the fastest. 4gb of ram is fine for basic windows 10 usage.
Windows 7 or lubuntu linux would be faster and a better fit. I dont think Microsoft office works on linux. You might need to use wine.

You will not be winning any startup/shutdown speed contests, but, it might still serve for your needs.....try, and see. (nothing to lose, and, as long as you are not stymied by the extra second or tow here and there, you might be satisfied to get some more life out of it.,.)

If W10 seems too slow, try a Linux Mint 15 CInnamon or so....(MS Office won't work, but, LlbreOffice will....)

Reactions: poorbugger

poorbugger

Distinguished
Yes, you can run Microsoft offoce programs on that pc. Web browsing on this system will work ok, but script heavy sites may be slower. Youtube might not work well.

Windows 10 will install and run, but not the fastest. 4gb of ram is fine for basic windows 10 usage.
Windows 7 or lubuntu linux would be faster and a better fit. I dont think Microsoft office works on linux. You might need to use wine.
You will not be winning any startup/shutdown speed contests, but, it might still serve for your needs.....try, and see. (nothing to lose, and, as long as you are not stymied by the extra second or tow here and there, you might be satisfied to get some more life out of it.,.)

If W10 seems too slow, try a Linux Mint 15 CInnamon or so....(MS Office won't work, but, LlbreOffice will....)
Thanks for the replies guys, guess i'll give it a go

TRENDING THREADS