News Intel’s Arc A750, A770 Prices Revealed: Mid-Range is Back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InvalidError

Titan
e haven't been able to buy cards at MSRP for a long time anyway. That sort of narrative gives manufacturers a lot of ammo.
COVID + component shortages + crypto gave AMD and Nvidia funny ideas about how much people are willing to pay for GPUs. We'll see whether that stick now that all three conditions have mostly gone away. I'm wishing abysmal sales to any manufacturer attempting to repeat peak COVID pricing.

COVID + component shortages + crypto gave AMD and Nvidia funny ideas about how much people are willing to pay for GPUs. We'll see whether that stick now that all three conditions have mostly gone away. I'm wishing abysmal sales to any manufacturer attempting to repeat peak COVID pricing.
Yeah. I've said elsewhere that this whole RTX 40-series launch reminds me in so many ways of the RTX 20-series launch.

We just finished with a crypto bubble in late 2017/early 2018, everyone had paid exorbitant prices for otherwise midrange graphics cards. Then Nvidia comes out hyping up ray tracing and DLSS, and generational prices shot up. This is 10-series vs. 20-series launch pricing:

New CardNew Launch PriceOld CardOld Launch PriceGenerational Increase
RTX 2080 Ti
$1,199​
GTX 1080 Ti
$699​
72%​
RTX 2080
$799​
GTX 1080
$699​
14%​
RTX 2070
$599​
GTX 1070
$449​
33%​
RTX 2060
$349​
GTX 1060 6GB
$299​
17%​

The thing is, people forget that the RTX 2080 Founders Edition launched at $799, and that the GTX 1080 Founders Edition launched at $699. GTX 1080 later dropped to $499 MSRP, but the 2080 never officially dropped below $699. RTX 30-series at launch represented a correction and a return to "sanity" on GPU prices, except then scalpers, the pandemic, and cryptocurrency totally burned Nvidia. It made lots of money but it could have made even more. It's not going to make that same mistake if it can help it.

So the result is extreme prices at launch. If AMD RDNA 3 launches at competitive performance and substantially lower prices, that's when you can expect Nvidia to respond. Decreasing prices (to your partners) is super easy. Increasing it is practically impossible. Nvidia claims (I have no way of proving it one way or another) that it never raised the contract pricing that its AIB partners were paying for RTX 30-series parts. Which means the AIBs and distributors and retail places all pocketed massive profits while Nvidia made do with slightly less extreme profits. Now it's making sure that if anyone wants to pay $900+ for a graphics card, Nvidia will get a big share of the profits.

Scalpers are probably not going to have much to do on this launch, since they would need to mark cards up another 25% to make it a viable endeavor. That's the good news. The bad news is that Nvidia effectively became at least a short-term scalper of sorts. Here's the same sort of table, only now let's look at Ada Lovelace:

New CardNew Launch PriceOld CardOld Launch PriceGenerational Increase
RTX 4090
$1,599​
RTX 3090
$1,499​
7%​
RTX 4080 16GB
$1,199​
RTX 3080 Ti
$1,199​
0%​
RTX 4080 12GB
$899​
RTX 3080 10GB
$699​
29%​
RTX 4080 12GB
$899​
RTX 3070
$499​
80%​

Like it or not, that's how Nvidia is choosing to position these cards. The 4090 isn't really that much worse than a 3090 at launch. 4080 16GB vs. 3080 Ti keeps pricing the same. It's that 4080 12GB vs. 3080 10GB that's painful, but it's not quite as bad as the price hike with the 20-series. Unless you want to call the RTX 4080 12GB an RTX 3070 replacement, which it really is if we're being honest. And then it's worse than even the 2080 Ti vs. 1080 Ti price increase. And of course the 3080 Ti was priced that high because it came later and Nvidia could adjust pricing upward a lot.

I can tell you this much, a good friend of mine who just bought the Ryzen 9 7900x, he basically spent 1100 something on his board, ssd and cpu, he is also an rtx 3090 owner. I think he bought the gpu in 2020 or 2021 and had to pay about 2000 to get it, he was telling me just a couple of days ago that his next gpu will probably be an AMD card. Keep in mind, this guy has been buying nvidia products for years, like 10 or more. I remember him owning cards in the 200 series so that shows how far back. And he tends to buy high end or 1 step down from high end. He usually has a good amount of money, so if he's not hip on Nvidia pricing......

He's also an EVGA fan as well.

I can tell you this much, a good friend of mine who just bought the Ryzen 9 7900x, he basically spent 1100 something on his board, ssd and cpu, he is also an rtx 3090 owner. I think he bought the gpu in 2020 or 2021 and had to pay about 2000 to get it, he was telling me just a couple of days ago that his next gpu will probably be an AMD card. Keep in mind, this guy has been buying nvidia products for years, like 10 or more. I remember him owning cards in the 200 series so that shows how far back. And he tends to buy high end or 1 step down from high end. He usually has a good amount of money, so if he's not hip on Nvidia pricing......

He's also an EVGA fan as well.
I'll be interested to hear if he actually makes the switch. Because when push comes to shove, if Nvidia's RTX 4090 ends up with higher performance, plus DLSS 3, plus better DXR, even if AMD has an RX 7900 XT for $999, will he really make the switch? He might, but I've known a lot of high-end people who always talk about ditching Nvidia but never actually end up doing it.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
I'll be interested to hear if he actually makes the switch. Because when push comes to shove, if Nvidia's RTX 4090 ends up with higher performance, plus DLSS 3, plus better DXR, even if AMD has an RX 7900 XT for $999, will he really make the switch? He might, but I've known a lot of high-end people who always talk about ditching Nvidia but never actually end up doing it.

We'll see. Right now he's pretty perturbed. Keep in mind this guy wanted to be a tech, I'm a tech myself, and he's probably the guy I'd trust working on my PC. He actually got his A+ certification at one point, has built systems for years, and is just very meticulous about his systems. His PC, I think he's got

Corsair Carbide 780 case
Ryzen 9 7900x
32gb ddr5 6000 probably
Not sure on ssds
EVGA for the win 3090
Not sure on psu, but he knows his stuff

But he was frustrated this past weekend, he was putting his new PC together and accidentally dropped the ssd screw. He thought it went into the gpu somewhere. He brought the gpu to my house and we took the top plate from the card and the io shield and gave the card a few good shakes, inspected and couldn't locate the screw. So he re-assembled it, assembled the rest of the PC, started installing and got it all working and realized he had a bios update available so he did that and apparently now he just gets a blinking cursor. He was frustrated enough he actually took the whole tower to Microcenter about 40 minutes away and is paying them to look at it which is surprising since I know how he is about his systems and that he knows his stuff.

This is the board he purchased I think.

ASRock X670E Steel Legend AMD AM5 ATX Motherboard - Micro Center

But given the issues he's had, if they tell him the 3090 might be at fault somehow, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back with a 6900xt.