News Intel’s Long Awaited Fab 42 is Fully Operational

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
All of the company’s 10nm products released to date were produced either in Oregon or in Israel as Fab 42 in Arizona was waiting for demand for 10nm CPUs to pick up.
Not sure about that one, unless you mean demand from Intel themselves as in having a functional product to produce at the fab.

If Intel doesn't hurry and get a competitive desktop part out soon (Rocket lake), 14nm supply really won't be an issue. Trends indicate a downward movement of sales now the back to school laptop rush is over.
Which year do you live in?
Back to school sales?! Sales have been crazy since the start of the year due to the human malware.
If you have a specific link that you got that idea from please link it here,I'm very curious to read that.

Reactions: shady28
Back to school sales?! Sales have been crazy since the start of the year due to the human malware.
If you have a specific link that you got that idea from please link it here,I'm very curious to read that.

Some schools quit the school year early to avoid at home teaching.

There was a second rush at the beginning of the new school year.

While its not quantitative, I have a number of friends on facebook who are getting new laptops. Schools are ramping up with new curriculum and software packages for teaching and parents are discovering their old equipment isnt up to snuff. A visit to my local best buy and walmart also shows just about every laptop sold out. But im seeing increased availability online finally.

Reactions: Shadowclash10

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
this new facility would be even nicier with some blue solar panels on the roof.
because , you know... Arizona...

plus it's good advertizing (well maybe not in the southern US because they prefer to burn coal for some reason)

The coronavirus mitigations may have significantly boosted computer hardware sales this year, but how long do you expect that to last? Most of those who decided to buy a new system as a result of the pandemic have likely already done so by this point. And once someone has a new system, they probably won't be buying a replacement for some years to come. So, in many cases, they have effectively moved up a purchase of new hardware to an earlier date, and as a result, there will likely be a dropoff in demand before long. While 2020 sales may have been notably higher than expected, 2021 sales could easily be lower.

The majority of those getting a new system for working at home probably did so back in the spring or early summer. Those getting one for school have probably done so already as well. There will likely continue to be decent sales numbers through the holiday shopping season, but after that, we may see somewhat of a downturn in sales. I suppose if there happens to be an increase in businesses and schools shutting down during the flu season we could see strong sales continue for some time, but with more precautions being taken to to reduce transmission this time around, it seems likely that we probably won't see a similar situation as there was last spring.

If Intel doesn't hurry and get a competitive desktop part out soon (Rocket lake), 14nm supply really won't be an issue. Trends indicate a downward movement of sales now the back to school laptop rush is over.
I can't really see Intel "hurrying" to get Rocket Lake out there, since they just released their Comet Lake desktop processors several months back. And realistically, those processors are relatively competitive. They finally more or less roughly match AMD in terms of thread counts in most product segments, and while the higher-end unlocked parts still cost more, they do offer a bit more lightly-threaded performance. That might potentially change once AMD launches their new generation of processors though. Of course, we don't even know if Rocket Lake will be a notable step up over their existing offerings. Either way, I wouldn't expect them before the first quarter of next year, at the earliest, and it could be later.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
The coronavirus mitigations may have significantly boosted computer hardware sales this year, but how long do you expect that to last? Most of those who decided to buy a new system as a result of the pandemic have likely already done so by this point. And once someone has a new system, they probably won't be buying a replacement for some years to come. So, in many cases, they have effectively moved up a purchase of new hardware to an earlier date, and as a result, there will likely be a dropoff in demand before long. ,,,

Well, I don't think anyone knows, and if they do know for sure how it will play out they should be finding some beat up small cap PC stocks to buy, or to short, for whatever the scenario may be.

As for myself, a software engineer, I built a PC for the first time in 10 years back in June/July. I had stopped building but bought new every 3 years. My personal laptop started to fall apart after 3 months of WFH.

Actually so has my work laptop, so I'll be getting a new one soon. I also just bought a 34" 100Hz UW 3440x1440 monitor. And about $250 into mouse and keyboard. Also a 3TB USB 3.1 backup drive. And a UPS after a few power outages.

Oh and I was rather quick to upgrade my stuff. I know a lot of people, developers, who are starting to think about it now. A lot of people are upgrading things other than their PCs, but there are some who are upgrading because MS Teams can bring a haswell gen laptop to its knees.

IMO, we will continue to see sustained demand for PCs and peripherals through the end of the year.

After that, like pretty much every other sector of the economy, it's going to depend on if the economy can really recover. If all these failed businesses get replaced with startups and companies that have done massive permanent layoffs start to come back, PC demand will boom.

If it starts to spiral down, and it may well do that, then how to save money by reducing the amount of water your toilet bowl uses by displacing it with a 2 liter soda bottle will probably be a more important topic.

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
Well, I don't think anyone knows, and if they do know for sure how it will play out they should be finding some beat up small cap PC stocks to buy, or to short, for whatever the scenario may be.

As for myself, a software engineer, I built a PC for the first time in 10 years back in June/July. I had stopped building but bought new every 3 years. My personal laptop started to fall apart after 3 months of WFH.

Actually so has my work laptop, so I'll be getting a new one soon. I also just bought a 34" 100Hz UW 3440x1440 monitor. And about $250 into mouse and keyboard. Also a 3TB USB 3.1 backup drive. And a UPS after a few power outages.

Oh and I was rather quick to upgrade my stuff. I know a lot of people, developers, who are starting to think about it now. A lot of people are upgrading things other than their PCs, but there are some who are upgrading because MS Teams can bring a haswell gen laptop to its knees.

IMO, we will continue to see sustained demand for PCs and peripherals through the end of the year.

After that, like pretty much every other sector of the economy, it's going to depend on if the economy can really recover. If all these failed businesses get replaced with startups and companies that have done massive permanent layoffs start to come back, PC demand will boom.

If it starts to spiral down, and it may well do that, then how to save money by reducing the amount of water your toilet bowl uses by displacing it with a 2 liter soda bottle will probably be a more important topic.
Anything can bring a Haswell era laptop to its knees :p.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I can't really see Intel "hurrying" to get Rocket Lake out there, since they just released their Comet Lake desktop processors several months back. And realistically, those processors are relatively competitive. They finally more or less roughly match AMD in terms of thread counts in most product segments, and while the higher-end unlocked parts still cost more, they do offer a bit more lightly-threaded performance. That might potentially change once AMD launches their new generation of processors though. Of course, we don't even know if Rocket Lake will be a notable step up over their existing offerings. Either way, I wouldn't expect them before the first quarter of next year, at the earliest, and it could be later.

If Ryzen 5000 series leaked results are true, then Intel will need their Rocket Lake ASAP to get back the crown.

Right now, Intel still has the clockspeed advantage over AMD and thats why they are still faster in gaming. But if the new ryzen is really faster than a 5.2GHz i9, then Intel would be in trouble.

Oct 8, 2020
this new facility would be even nicier with some blue solar panels on the roof.
because , you know... Arizona...

plus it's good advertizing (well maybe not in the southern US because they prefer to burn coal for some reason)
You'll be happy to know that nearly all of the parking lots on the campus are covered with solar panels. One of the largest arrays in the state :). You can't put them on the roof due to stuff like ventilation stacks and piping.

TRENDING THREADS