[SOLVED] Intel 10400F or Ryzen 5 3600

shrey1934

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
I'm struggling to pick an option,
The intel 10400F is cheaper, as the same amount of cores and can boost to a higher clock then the Ryzen, however it limits my RAM to 2666Mhz
The Ryzen is around £50 more expensive but does have a higher base clock speed and my ram can go up to 3600Mhz, I also really like the msi b450 gaming pro carbon max wifi (ideal motherboard ) that i would get if i went with the Ryzen.
Keeping everything else the same (16GB ram and rtx 3060) which would be the better option for gaming.
Budget is also quite tight.

Last edited:
Solution
10400F is the one to go in my opinion.
"The intel 10400F is cheaper, as the same amount of cores and can boost to a higher clock then the Ryzen, however it limits my RAM to 2666Mhz "
Intel doesnt benefit from fast ram as much so no reason to go with high frequency ram. I mean technically it would boost it for 2-3 fps from game to game, but that isnt worth the extra money you spend on fast ram.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge630T9CsC0&t=184s
10400F is the one to go in my opinion.
"The intel 10400F is cheaper, as the same amount of cores and can boost to a higher clock then the Ryzen, however it limits my RAM to 2666Mhz "
Intel doesnt benefit from fast ram as much so no reason to go with high frequency ram. I mean technically it would boost it for 2-3 fps from game to game, but that isnt worth the extra money you spend on fast ram.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge630T9CsC0&t=184s

Solution
I'm struggling to pick an option,
The intel 10400F is cheaper, as the same amount of cores and can boost to a higher clock then the Ryzen, however it limits my RAM to 2666Mhz
The Ryzen is around £50 more expensive but does have a higher base clock speed and my ram can go up to 3600Mhz, I also really like the msi b450 gaming pro carbon max wifi (ideal motherboard ) that i would get if i went with the Ryzen.
Keeping everything else the same (16GB ram and rtx 3060) which would be the better option for gaming.
Budget is also quite tight.
Overclockers have the 3600 on sale for £170 today

I would vote for I5-10400F.
Here is a review of the i3-10100 which has fewer cores:
It compares well with the 3600:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
The i3-10100 limits ram support to 2666, but by using a Z490 motherboard, the faster ram shows up to be a small improvement.
Good luck on finding a 3060 card at all. Not likely to find one at less than 2x msrp.
I might opt for the i5-10400 instead of the F just so you have some graphics to work with.

Intel 11th gen is due to launch this week, I would wait to see what that brings to the table

I would vote for I5-10400F.
Here is a review of the i3-10100 which has fewer cores:
It compares well with the 3600:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
The i3-10100 limits ram support to 2666, but by using a Z490 motherboard, the faster ram shows up to be a small improvement.
Good luck on finding a 3060 card at all. Not likely to find one at less than 2x msrp.
I might opt for the i5-10400 instead of the F just so you have some graphics to work with.

Intel 11th gen is due to launch this week, I would wait to see what that brings to the table
"Intel 11th gen is due to launch this week, I would wait to see what that brings to the table "
Not much improvement via Anandtech review i saw.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
TBH, unless you already have a GPU that is operational laying around, I would pick the non F option if you can get it for the same price-(ish). Given the current issues and price sourcing a GPU it would be nice to have the iGPU available as a back up.

The review was with pre release bios and a top end i7-10700K.
It remains to be seen what the well binned i9-11900K version will bring.
The OP is looking at something like the i5-11400 or the i5-11500:
Of interest is the use of Xe integrated graphics which may well obviate the urgent need for a graphics card.
I note that the 11500 has stronger graphics than the 11400.
I expect good availability due to the reuse of 14nm manufacturing.
Also, Intel is going to price to be competitive with ryzen.
It will pay to be patient.

Reactions: punkncat and Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
11900k is the same cpu as the 11700k with 200MHz higher clocks. With its so far less than stellar performance vs the 5800x, in almost every department, it's looking like the 11900k will close the gap and go head to head. Which in itself is less than stellar performance with its price tag, it's motherboard requirements and it's power limits and cooling requirements.

Tweak it all you want in bios, you won't change its underlying architecture, which even if a new design, the 14nm process isn't going to match the 7nm used by the Ryzens. By my layman's guess, it'll be 13th or 14th gen before Intel dials this architecture in for best performance, but by then it'll be on 7nm, but amd will be on 3nm or 5nm.

To my way of seeing things, 11th gen is going to be Broadwell Part Deux.

10400F vs 3600 is a toss-up, Intel wins some, and wins some. Either is good. A few fps one way or another is moot. But ram tweaked, the 3600 can be the overall leader and the 10400F doesn't have such adaptable advantages. They only pair up at stock settings.