[SOLVED] Intel 10700K Datasheet RAM 2933Mhz?

Sep 29, 2020
When I plugin Vengence Pro RAM on my new build, should I manually set the RAM to 2933? If I don't, auto puts the RAM at 2133, and if I XMP1, it goes to 3200. Should I just set it to 2933 and walk away from this confusion?

Solution
Well, although I'm a long time contributor, I'm defo not an expert ;) Instead, I'm a keen enthusiast like a lot of us on here.

In terms of your CPU, yes, your CPU is matched with 2933mhz ram, as that is the default max supported by your CPU. However your motherboard will have much broader ranges for ram supported, and if it's a new one, the mobo will support ram up to possibly 4000mhz speeds(I'm not sure what mobo you have so can't tell you for sure.)

When you run it on XMP, the CPU will be able to take advantage of the extra speed, and reduced timings. This will increase performance (application dependent on how much of a boost)

The best way to illustrate that to you is try both speeds and run a simple test to determine how the...
Sep 29, 2020
No, just leave it on XMP1 at 3200mhz. That's the fastest option and will give you the best performance.

If the kit is rated for 3200mhz, then that's the speed you want it on
OK, respecting you are a big time contributor here ... you don't want to match the CPU datasheet spec to ram clock? Just clarifying, not challenging.

Well, although I'm a long time contributor, I'm defo not an expert ;) Instead, I'm a keen enthusiast like a lot of us on here.

In terms of your CPU, yes, your CPU is matched with 2933mhz ram, as that is the default max supported by your CPU. However your motherboard will have much broader ranges for ram supported, and if it's a new one, the mobo will support ram up to possibly 4000mhz speeds(I'm not sure what mobo you have so can't tell you for sure.)

When you run it on XMP, the CPU will be able to take advantage of the extra speed, and reduced timings. This will increase performance (application dependent on how much of a boost)

The best way to illustrate that to you is try both speeds and run a simple test to determine how the faster speed and tighter XMP timings effect performance over the 2933mhz. You will see an uplift. With that said, 2933mhz v 3200mhz won't yield huge differences, but difference nonetheless.

Solution