Intel 10nm Ice Lake CPU Specs Leak Points to Double L2 Cache

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Even for an ES those frequencies are very low, I honestly don't think we will see a high end desktop chip anytime soon. They will use these for laptops and low power devices. I would wager 2020 before desktop processors come out

We already know that the first Ice Lake CPUs will be laptop parts but this isn't much to go on nor should it be taken as final considering Intel is planning for these in 2H 2019.

That said, TFLOPs is never a good measure of gaming performance. AMD/ATI typically had a TFLOPs advantage but not always a gaming performance advantage. All I hope for is a decent CPU to compete with Ryzen.

Ice Lake will be however its going to start on mobile then eventually move to desktop.

The desktop part is slated for 2020 or very end of 2019 at best.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
" All I hope for is a decent CPU to compete with Ryzen."

Eh, I'm hoping that AMD can reach clock for clock parity on a per core basis on benchmarks that don't favor AMD. And earn the safe lead on everything else myself. Intel already lost the per watt battle.

Per watt yes. It can always change though as we have yet to see how Intels 10nm performs power wise or their new Sunny Cove arch performs per watt.

I would prefer an even match trading blows. Its the only real way to have innovations continue. Other wise one will get complacent and we will just stagnate for a while again.

Same albeit Im hoping AMD can beat Intel just a bit :) I really want AMD to take market share from Intel in 2019 just so we can have a little more even competition going forward which should drive pricing and innovation. Intel is going to get into graphics in 2020 which should make next year really interesting.

Tanyac

Reputable
What would be really nice is more PCIe lanes on the CPU and on the Chipset.
Support for 10 SATA + 3 M.2 PCiex4 devices ALL from the Chipset + USB etc.
Mobo makers are hamstring at the moment by Intel's poor evolution of PCIe capacity.
Though, with Intel's pricing strategy, I probably couldn't afford the new CPus anyway.
Haven't seen anything about PCIe4. Perhaps they are going to wait a few more years

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
AMD has 64KB L1I and 32KB L1D per core, whereas Intel is boosting the size of its L1D so it's 50% larger than its L1I (making 32KB L1I and 48KB L1D). I wonder how much this helps in practice, but all the extra cache will surely push up power consumption.

P1nky

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
In recent years, Intel processors have been maintaining the 32KB per L1 cache and 128KB per L2 cache configurations from the Core 2 and Nehalem days, respectively.

Nehalem introduced 256KB L2 cache and Intel used it since then.

I am sure it will evolve that way but I doubt we will see more SATA since its being replaced. That said mobo makers are hamstrung by space. Where will they put the extra M.2 slots? there is a lot of design changes that will need to be made and possibly the loss of PCIe slots.

I doubt power will go up by a significant margin plus this is supposed to be on 10nm which would also drop power draw in the first place.

For performance I can see having 50% more storage to store commonly needed data is a good thing. That and the L3 also increased. Current is 1.5MB per core this is 2MB per core.

Honestly until it gets close to release we wont know anything.

Another thing I noticed is it states this is for a Dell Alienware Portable so this is absolutely a mobile part and wont be a good representation of desktop performance since their mobile is almost always geared towards power over performance except in very extreme cases. I am more interested in seeing their iGPU performance ore than anything.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I'm not saying there would be a significant increase in power, but some of the savings inherent to going from 14nm+++ to 10nm+ would likely be taken up by the extra cache. We'll see upon release.