[SOLVED] Intel 10th gen + 3080 GPU true power pulls, does 750W PSU cut it?

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
I know nvidia recommends a 750W as minimum and This question has probably been asked a ton..Currently have a SeaSonic Focus PX750. I have a buyer for it and I have my own custom braided cables so I can just swap out the PSU but I’m feeling on the fence and would be more at ease with a little more headroom. I’ve seen some people with minor OC’s saying the gpu can hit limits of 450W?

Inventory is limited everywhere! However I can snag a SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 850W and wondering if I should go for it? Will 750W be fine for non OC 10700K and a 3080 FTW3 - gen use is gaming and streaming 1080p (1440p near future) and wait for a 1000W to come in stock or grab the 850W OR stick with what I have as I won’t come near 750W.

** my 3080 comes in a week, replacing my 2070S FTW3**

Solution
One thing to remember is that these worst case, peak draw scenarios are never realized in 99.99% of general computing/gaming. For even the most demanding AAA game I doubt the GPU and CPU would need more than 70% of those 'peak' numbers, consistently. Another thing to note is that many good, name brand PSUs have some room for a spike above their wattage rating.

On the flip side, PSUs are happiest at about 40-60% draw and, to get the max life out of them, you really don't want to run them at above 85% draw, constantly.

All in all, you'd probably be fine with an RM750x but if you have the funds and want to have some more wattage room go for an 850.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
I’m leaning towards the 850W as well just for peace of mind. 1000W seems super overkill even though I’ve been told elsewhere to go for the 4 digit wattage and not worry about it in future upgrades in the coming years. I’d hate to have to upgrade PSU 3 times... but I can’t imagine having less than 250W headroom with an 850W anyway.

2 SSD’s
1 m.2
4 140mm case fans
Air cooler
No overclocking (yet. If I do, minor)
3080FTW3
2 monitors

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
I’m leaning towards the 850W as well just for peace of mind. 1000W seems super overkill even though I’ve been told elsewhere to go for the 4 digit wattage and not worry about it in future upgrades in the coming years. I’d hate to have to upgrade PSU 3 times... but I can’t imagine having less than 250W headroom with an 850W anyway.

2 SSD’s
1 m.2
4 140mm case fans
Air cooler
No overclocking (yet. If I do, minor)
3080FTW3
2 monitors
850w is a good sweet spot for rtx3xxx cards because of the headroom it gives you.

Reactions: Nemesia

boju

Titan
Ambassador
3080/3090 can transient spike to almost 600w. Even 1000w psus with poor over current protections shut down. Corsair RMx 850w should be fine but still, i would research more regarding these transient spikes from these cards.

Also fyi, psu pinouts don't follow a standard so you'd really want to make sure +/- pins are in the same spots before using your custom cables, otherwise, pooff.

Reactions: trofeer

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
3080/3090 can transient spike to almost 600w. Even 1000w psus with poor over current protections shut down. Corsair RMx 850w should be fine but still, i would research more regarding these transient spikes from these cards.

Also fyi, psu pinouts don't follow a standard so you'd really want to make sure +/- pins are in the same spots before using your custom cables, otherwise, pooff.
Do you have any lit on those spikes really? That’s scary.. I’m semi budgeting to go 1440p soon so I’m trying to avoid the 1000W if I can however I found a 850W prime by SeaSonic I can order rn. I’d much rather be safe on power than enjoy a little more pixels for the time being.

trofeer I previously had a similar question to yours and found the answer below very helpful.

yO0yh7g.jpg

750W PSU can't handle RTX 3080?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/750w-psu-cant-handle-rtx-3080.3649091/page-3?view=date

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
trofeer I previously had a similar question to yours and found the answer below very helpful.

yO0yh7g.jpg

750W PSU can't handle RTX 3080?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/750w-psu-cant-handle-rtx-3080.3649091/page-3?view=date
Ugh, still on the hunt I guess. FWIW, I’m not doing any hard stress tests. This is a gaming+streaming setup primarily. Very minimal CAD rendering with Revit and even then I won’t be utilizing a whole ton. Does that help my case at all? I see a lot of these heavy draws are during overclock benchmark testing straining the gpu and cpu.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think transient spikes happens as the card starts to turbo / reach stabilisation. Like switching on the evaporative's cooling fan at full blast rather than gradually. Once up there running with consistent load, these spikes i guess shouldn't happen until the card is allowed to cycle through the power modes again. Certain psus don't like the sudden surge and protections seem to kick in prematurely.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
.Currently have a SeaSonic Focus PX750
I can snag a SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 850W
Ironically, your Focus has higher chances running RTX3080 than Prime Titanium, the latter has problems with RTX3080/3090 unless you go overkill and get 1kW (and even then there were some reports that it still shuts down, depends on the OC on GPU i guess).

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Sorry, I don't get your reasoning to replace your fully working PX 750. What is it exactly that you are worried of? The PSU should be able to handle a stock 10700K + 3080 FTW with no problems.

As for the SS Prime issue that @Juular mentioned it is explained here by Jonnyguru.

i think my only reasoning is to have the headroom now and for later (which I should’ve done from the start but was unaware of these spikes and total draw) and to have a larger fan in the psu. So if I did choose to upgrade the 750W to whatever is available in the 850-1000W class, to go with Focus? Prime is supposed to be SS’s better tier :( I’m going to see how my current handles my day to day activities which as stated before, I think my largest workload is Warzone gameplay + streaming and even if I jump from 1080 to 1440p, I should still be well below 600W even. New PSU, if not needed should be thrown at new monitor not at larger headroom if no plans to truly OC?

Last edited:

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Among Seasonic PSUs ? Yes, at least until Seasonic addresses the issue in any way at last. But you know, Seasonic isn't a gospel, there are other brands.
I’m just trying to save another $120 by not having to order another kit of braided cables + the time to re route. These cables do work for ASUS but I was looking at the RMx and AX line second to SeaSonic. What would be a good alternative brand and model wise if I did go that route?

Last edited:
i think my only reasoning is to have the headroom now and for later (which I should’ve done from the start but was unaware of these spikes and total draw) and to have a larger fan in the psu. So if I did choose to upgrade the 750W to whatever is available in the 850-1000W class, to go with Focus? Prime is supposed to be SS’s better tier :( I’m going to see how my current handles my day to day activities which as stated before, I think my largest workload is Warzone gameplay + streaming and even if I jump from 1080 to 1440p, I should still be well below 600W even. New PSU, if not needed should be thrown at new monitor not at larger headroom if no plans to truly OC?
The Prime being the higher tier is sadly telling you nothing, and I have never heard of the issue being addressed by Seasonic. I learned the issue from other people who created threads about them having restart issues with RX Vega/RTX 3080/3090 and from Jonnyguru who explained that it was something to do with the +12v Sense signal. At the meantime it is best to avoid it. I'd rather go with a Focus PX-850 knowing this (if you don't want to bother changing the cables). Asus Thor 850W is also a good option, though, it's hard to tell whether it has the fixes that Seasonic did for transient spikes. But with that being said, I'd keep it with the current config as there is no problems.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
I've completely forgot that you have a kit of braided cables, does it have two wires coming out of one pin of 24-pin connector ?
Is this for the mobo power? Tell me where exactly to look and I’ll go check. Again, I don’t have my 3080 on hand just yet. I have another 8 pin PCIE waiting as I will be running 3x8PIN from the GPU (hope that’s right).

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Is this for the mobo power?
Yes, 24-pin connector for motherboard, there are no other 24-pin connectors. One of the pins should either have two wires coming out to the PSU side or just one. If it's one then the cable doesn't have 12 v-sense which is common for custom cables and might actually let you to get a Seasonic PRIME since according to Jon, cutting 12V v-sense fixes the issue with it and RTX3080.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Yes, 24-pin connector for motherboard, there are no other 24-pin connectors. One of the pins should either have two wires coming out to the PSU side or just one. If it's one then the cable doesn't have 12 v-sense which is common for custom cables and might actually let you to get a Seasonic PRIME since according to Jon, cutting 12V v-sense fixes the issue with it and RTX3080.

Are we looking at the four heatshrinks here? What’s the verdict :oops:
bIjtqRa.jpg