[SOLVED] Intel 10th gen vs ryzen

Tortz

Commendable
Apr 10, 2020
I currently have an i5 6600k. I want to be able to stream and game so I wanted to get a new CPU. should I wait for the 10th gen intel to come out or should I get a Ryzen 3 series?

Solution
You might also need to buy new motherboard with the CPU if your thinking about upgrading cpu and also if you can wait then see what 10th gen offers!
Not might, you'll definitely need a new board with either of those new cpus!

Like nighthawk said, do you have to start streaming today, or can you wait until possibly the end of the year?

While I'm still a fan of intel, AMD certainly has my attention. Especially with the new third gen stuff. 10th gen is just another refresh with hyperthreading reenabled. Of course higher base and boost clocks also. But I'm guessing most if not all of the k sku 10th gens will require higher end air or liquid cooling. Leaked motherboard prices are insanely high, but again just leaks. So who know...
You might also need to buy new motherboard with the CPU if your thinking about upgrading cpu and also if you can wait then see what 10th gen offers!

Like nighthawk said, do you have to start streaming today, or can you wait until possibly the end of the year?

While I'm still a fan of intel, AMD certainly has my attention. Especially with the new third gen stuff. 10th gen is just another refresh with hyperthreading reenabled. Of course higher base and boost clocks also. But I'm guessing most if not all of the k sku 10th gens will require higher end air or liquid cooling. Leaked motherboard prices are insanely high, but again just leaks. So who know whether or not those prices will come down or not.

Ryzen is available now. Offers great performance comparatively. And pricing is fantastic! I'd gladly give up 5-10 max fps to have a more solid 1% and .1% lows and overall smoother experience.

I'd say get ryzen now if its within your budget.

Unfortunately I think 10th gen will be overpriced for what it is. But I hope I'm wrong and it makes for an even more competitive cpu market.

If I upgrade any time soon it will be to AMD over intel. And I never thought I'd say that!

Reactions: Tortz and Phaaze88
Solution

While I'm still a fan of intel, AMD certainly has my attention. Especially with the new third gen stuff. 10th gen is just another refresh with hyperthreading reenabled. Of course higher base and boost clocks also. But I'm guessing most if not all of the k sku 10th gens will require higher end air or liquid cooling. Leaked motherboard prices are insanely high, but again just leaks. So who know whether or not those prices will come down or not.

Ryzen is available now. Offers great performance comparatively. And pricing is fantastic! I'd gladly give up 5-10 max fps to have a more solid 1% and .1% lows and overall smoother experience.

I'd say get ryzen now if its within your budget.

Unfortunately I think 10th gen will be overpriced for what it is. But I hope I'm wrong and it makes for an even more competitive cpu market.

If I upgrade any time soon it will be to AMD over intel. And I never thought I'd say that!

Sorry Typo lol

Reactions: Tortz

Tortz

Commendable
Apr 10, 2020
I don't mind waiting a month or two to see what intel has to offer. I will see how close benchmarks compare to AMD CPU's and I guess I will decide then. Thank you

I currently have an i5 6600k. I want to be able to stream and game so I wanted to get a new CPU. should I wait for the 10th gen intel to come out or should I get a Ryzen 3 series?
Your 6600k is perfectly capable of streaming using quicksync without even affecting CPU usage.
If you have any sort of discrete GPU you can keep playing games at the same FPS and stream at 1080p/60 with your iGPU.
The only thing you have to do is to connect the iGPU to a second input on your monitor so that windows picks it up.