[SOLVED] intel 10th gen

dradu20

Honorable
Sep 16, 2017
Hello everyone!I want to upgrade my pc.
I have to choose first between 10th and 9th gen of Intel's CPUs,I want to hear your opinions(I heard that 10th gen performs worst than 9th gen).
Second I was thinking about getting the 10th gen (not a big difference in money where I live between the 9th gen).The question is between i5-10400 and i7-10700k (I will not overclock it but that's the only option where I live),it's worth the money for i7?(it's double the money of i5).I want to use the pc for games and also for unreal engine and blender.
Any thoughts are welcome!
My pc right now:
CPU:i5-4670
GPU:nvidia 1060 6gb
256 ssd+1tb hdd
16gb ram

I plan on building:
CPU:to be decided
GPU:same
256ssd+1tb ssd
32gb ram

I know that I have to change also the motherboard.
Thank you!

Solution
I wouldn’t even look at 9th gen now. You will be buying an end of life motherboard chipset with little or no upgrade path and a cpu with worse price/performance ratio. For example the i7 10700k is i9 9900k performance at an i7 price. Whoever told you 10th gen performs worse should be ignored.

Have you considered an AMD option?
I wouldn’t even look at 9th gen now. You will be buying an end of life motherboard chipset with little or no upgrade path and a cpu with worse price/performance ratio. For example the i7 10700k is i9 9900k performance at an i7 price. Whoever told you 10th gen performs worse should be ignored.

Solution

dradu20

Honorable
Sep 16, 2017

Oh ok thanks alot!I considered an AMD but I am a fan of Intel.Is there a big difference between them?
And should I choose the i5 or i7 for 10th gen?

Oh ok thanks alot!I considered an AMD but I am a fan of Intel.Is there a big difference between them?
And should I choose the i5 or i7 for 10th gen?
No there isn’t a big difference between them. I can’t talk for your Unreal or Blender work so wait for more opinions but generally Intel has slightly better single core performance while AMD gives you more cores/threads for a given budget although this gap is smaller with 10th gen Intel. When looking at cost you need to look at cpu, motherboard and cooling. Intel runs hotter and the motherboards are more expensive so for a given budget you may get more performance from AMD.

dradu20

Honorable
Sep 16, 2017
No there isn’t a big difference between them. I can’t talk for your Unreal or Blender work so wait for more opinions but generally Intel has slightly better single core performance while AMD gives you more cores/threads for a given budget although this gap is smaller with 10th gen Intel. When looking at cost you need to look at cpu, motherboard and cooling. Intel runs hotter and the motherboards are more expensive so for a given budget you may get more performance from AMD.
I undertstand,thanks!So i5 or i7 if I still want to choose Intel?