Question Intel 12th Gen Upgrade

maxpax444

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
I currently have a Ryzen 7 3700X - am considering upgrading to intel 12th gen whilst the Ryzen still has some decent resale value.

Which would be a better value upgrade the i5 12600 or i7 12700? It would be paired with my current 2070 Super, thats staying in place for now!

Lutfij

Titan
You will also need to pair the processor with a board and rams, unless you're looking at DDR4 boards only while wanting to retain your existing ram kit(assuming). Speaking of retention, might want to parse your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Going onto 12th Gen would need you to get to Windows 11(if you're yet on Windows 10) to get the most out of the new platform. Also, mention the tasks you want to tax the new system with.

I currently have a Ryzen 7 3700X - am considering upgrading to intel 12th gen whilst the Ryzen still has some decent resale value.

Which would be a better value upgrade the i5 12600 or i7 12700? It would be paired with my current 2070 Super, thats staying in place for now!
We should find out more tomorrow about the new Ryzen’s with 3D Cache which are promising performance improvements to put them inline with or ahead of 12th gen Intel. This is still on the AM4 socket so depending on what motherboard you have there is a chance it will be an easy swap.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So you are looking at @ $700± to accomplish what? A few more fps? At 1080p, yes, that's @ 10-40ish fps depending on the game. At 1440p it's closer to 10-20fps and at 4k there's little to no difference.

Now if you were doing production work, compression, encoding, decompression etc then I'd put a good value on it, the 12700k is just under 2x faster, and when time is money, that's going to pay for itself in a few days.

Then there's the ddr5 debate. With your current ddr4 reused, those fps/times aren't going to change. With ddr5 and possible future upgrades, they could. But ddr5 really isn't worth the cost in ram or mobo atm.

The 12600k fps/times are not all that much worse than the 12700k, and the price tag is much more appealing, but that's still $500 for gains you'll not see much of with a 2070Super.

If I had to choose, the 12600k by a landslide. While it's production values aren't as good as the 12700k by a fair margin, for gaming purposes there's little difference.

But personally, I'd be saving that cash for a better gpu/monitor.

So far as I know, there is no i5-12600 or i7-12700 processors.
I think you are looking at the K suffix units.

Your 3700X is still a good processor.
The 3700X currently sells for $200-$250 on ebay. I think you may be a bit late in the game for selling it. I doubt that the used price will change much from now on.

If you play cpu centric games that depend on single thread performance, then 12th gen may be worth it to you.
Run the cpu-Z bench app and look at the single thread rating. For your 3700X it should be 509 or so.
The 12600K is 773 and the 12700K is 852. 12900k is 981.

logainofhades

Titan

A 5900x, or 5950x would be a more sensible upgrade, if you have a decent motherboard currently. Less work involved, and no need to reinstall windows.

A 5900x, or 5950x would be a more sensible upgrade, if you have a decent motherboard currently. Less work involved, and no need to reinstall windows.
The most sensible thing to be in my opinion would be to wait until noon tomorrow when we know what AMD say we can expect from its higher cache variants of the Zen 3 lineup. If the OP's motherboard supports it that would be, imo, the most sensible thing to do.