Intel 2 Quad Core Q9550 and Windows 10 64-bit

cpebud

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
I am trying to install Windows 10 64-bit on my computer.

System:
-CPU: Intel 2 Quad Core Q9550
-MOBO: EVGA 780i SLI FTW
-GPU: (x2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
-RAM: (x3) PC2-6400 2GB DDR2

I started with a non activated copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I used the Windows Media Creation Tool (WMCT) from Microsoft's website to make a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 64-bit (W10 64). When I tried to boot from the USB I got the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). I tried multiple times getting various errors.

List of Errors:
-page fault in nonpaged area
-kmode exception not handled
-system thread exception not handled
-phaseo exception
-critical initialization failure
-attempted to write readonly memory

I then used WMCT to make a USB with Windows 10 32-bit. This worked and I was able to do a clean install. I then tried again at making a USB with W10 64. And when I tried to boot from this, again I got the BSOD with similar errors as before. I tried using this same USB on a friends computer, and he had no problem installing W10 64. So then I thought it might be a problem with old driver files (apparently the clean install did not wipe old drivers), so I downloaded DBAN to completely wipe my hard drive.
After wiping my hard drive, I tried again. Still no success. I had a copy of Windows Xp 32-bit. So I installed that to get a functioning OS. Using DBAN and a clean install (as well as deleting partitions) seemed to clear away any old drivers. Tried again with W10 64. No success. I found a free download of Windows 7 64-bit ISO. And made a bootable USB with Rufus. Tried to install this, and no luck.

Is there possibly a BIOS setting or compatibility issue not allowing me to install 64-bit? My CPU is 64-bit compatible, and there are 64-bit drivers for my graphics card.

Any ideas?

Edit1: So apparently I had some faulty RAM. While messing around with testing my RAM the system beep stopped happening. So I troubleshooted that which lead me to

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/295297-28-system-boot-beep-sound-display

So I breadboarded my system and discovered it was in fact the RAM. Found some old RAM, that I had (4 DDR2 1gb sticks) and sure enough I was able to get through the process with the correct system beeps. Then tried booting from the USB with Windows 7 Ult 64-bit, had no problems. Have a clean install and everything is looking good. I did notice that it is only reading 3GB out of the 4GB I I had installed.

Now trying to upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit. I'll let you guys know how that goes

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Solution
So I looked at each of your errors, and almost all of them are pointing at memory issue.
so I looked at http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-YW-E178.pdf and noticed there is nothing about installing 3 sticks of ram

But reading this, I would try Slot 0, slot 2 and slot 3, leaving slot 1 empty

One DIMM: Install into slot 0. You can install the DIMM into any slot however, slot 0 is preferred. 
Two DIMMs: Install into either slot 0 and 1 or 2 and 3. The idea is to not have the DIMMs in adjacent slots.
If it does not work try, taking one out leaving 4gb total using slot 0 and slot 1 (look at image on previous link 0 and 1 are not adjacent (both are blue)) and try again 4GB will be fine for the install...

Yes, it's possible that BIOS is preventing it but also a fact that 64bit W10 needs 2GB of free RAM and 2GB is actually less than that once BIOS and HW reserved take their toll. There's 640KB taken right out of equation on account of some ancient requirements.

mattbar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

-RAM: (x3) PC2-6400 2GB DDR2
he has x3 2gb sticks for a total of 6gb ram

So I looked at each of your errors, and almost all of them are pointing at memory issue.
so I looked at http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-YW-E178.pdf and noticed there is nothing about installing 3 sticks of ram

But reading this, I would try Slot 0, slot 2 and slot 3, leaving slot 1 empty

One DIMM: Install into slot 0. You can install the DIMM into any slot however, slot 0 is preferred. 
Two DIMMs: Install into either slot 0 and 1 or 2 and 3. The idea is to not have the DIMMs in adjacent slots.
If it does not work try, taking one out leaving 4gb total using slot 0 and slot 1 (look at image on previous link 0 and 1 are not adjacent (both are blue)) and try again 4GB will be fine for the install...

Solution

mattbar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

DDR stand for double data rate. let's say you have 2 1600mhz sticks. They actually run at 800mhz but alternate to achieve 1600mhz. a 3rd stick of 1600mhz will simply run at 800mhz because it doesn't have a clone stick to double it's data rate.

It's still worth a shot though.

cpebud is there any way you can disable the page file? maybe hibernate too. Don't think you can XD. Still waiting on the format of your usb drive