Intel 4600 or Nvidia 730?

ERERERER

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Hey. I am planning on building my first desktop, and was wondering: what type of graphics card should I use? The dedicated Intel HD 4600 that come with the i7 I am getting (only if I use dedicated graphics, otherwise an Intel Xeon with a dedicated graphics card) , or the dedicated Nvidia GeForce (is there GTX in the name?) 730, as a great budget graphics card. I am not a gamer... But maybe some light online 3D stuff, and video/picture editing, as well as wanting decent overall graphics performance. I would be using Ubuntu if that makes a difference (with Unity on the highest quality interface settings). Anything would help in my decision... Thanks!!

ERERERER

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Thank you everyone for your replies.

TallestJon96:
Great alternative. I wanted to get a Nividia card in the 700s, not a high end one, for no more than about $100, and that sounds like a step up to the 730. Thank you!

TechyInAZ:
Yes, I will only get a cpu with hyperthreading at this point, for some performance help. Thanks! Any recomendations on any Xeon cpus? There are so many now, it is almost harder than the i7 series...

tea urchin:
Thanks for the straight-up facts. Now I am for sure-getting a 750 if not using the 4600 Intel integrated.

I think I will go with the Nvidia 750, and an Intel Xeon since it doesn't have the built in gpu which saves a few dollars there (and more money towards the actual cpu)And what Intel Xeon should I then get? I know that it has to have hyperthreading, have 4 cores, and at least 3.4hz (I think that is how it is abbreviated) for each core. And under $300. Would a 4th generation in this Xeon series be better than a 3rd generation? Thanks

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1231V3-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790
The Xeon E3 1231V3 sounds pretty good...

But if I do get the i7, can I disable the integrated graphics do you think and use the 750 graphics? (because it has more clock speed and has support for some other "features") Plus ECC looks useful, but only in the Xeon since my computer will act as a server also...