Intel 530 or RX 460, 4GB?

Nergo Pthycc

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
How does GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 WINDFORCE OC 4GB GV-RX460WF2OC-4GD perform compared to the Intel 530 built-in GPU on my i7-6700 CPU? I have 32 GB Ram, 500GB Samsung SDD, 6GB HD for storage, EVGA 650W power supply but don't play games much. I use my 4K Samsung 78" curved TV as my monitor, record TV (still have Windows 7) record and edit video from my GoPro, watch 3D Bluray disks, stream 4K movies from Netflix.
I like quiet, low power (less heat) in my home theater room as I stay inside my house 98% of the time (while enduring chemo treatments)

Solution
A couple of things here. Switching to a modern GPU like the 460 that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant should help with things like 4K bluray support.

HDMI is also capable off lossless audio from bluray while optical is not. As someone who also has a nice sound receiver and cares about picture and audio quality this is a big deal. You want to see you audio receiver screen say it's receiving Multi-Channel PCM, DTS MA-HD, or Dolby TrueHD when you watch a bluray. Not PCM stereo, DTS, or Dolby Digital which is all your optical cable is capable off. This alone would be enough to get me to upgrade if your current parts can't do it.

As for the GPU fan, most of the new models have a system where they don't spin at all until the GPU gets...

king3pj

Distinguished

That depends what the OP is doing with their PC. It sounds like this is a home theater PC used for streaming video and watching blu-rays. The RX 460 is definitely better for gaming but the integrated graphics on that i7 might be good enough for what they are trying to do.

To the OP, why are you thinking about making an upgrade? Is the PC not performing well for your 4K movie watching needs? If the answer is no, the 460 could probably solve that. If your integrated graphics are getting the job done there is no reason to buy a discrete GPU.

P.S. Good luck with the cancer!

Nergo Pthycc

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

Thank you.
I'm sort of into future-proofing. Some day there just might be a non-violent game I might enjoy playing so I'd like to be prepared for that. New, Enhanced, HD, Blu ray discs, requiring a $400 discrete player, are here, I hope the people who make internal drives come up with something soon.
I think the sound spec on the 460 is better, but right now I have no complaints, as I feed sound into a 7.1 channel Denon system through an optical cable.
I'm also thinking about adding a smaller, second monitor. My home built security system is 12 D-Link wireless cameras (my router easily handles that) and when something is triggered I have to stop what I'm watching and switch over to watch that; a simultaneous feed to a second monitor would be nice, probably good to have the 530 feeding just that monitor all the time. Though, I could re-purpose an old computer in another room, to feed a separate monitor in the HTPC room...
I built my system to be very quiet, using a Noctua NH-L12 CPU fan, Gigabyte LGA1151 Z170, and a great (Toms Recommended) Fractal Design Define R4 case. Can't hear a thing from 6 feet away.
If the 460 starts pumping hot air out the back of the case and I can hear it, I won't be happy! The $129 (NewEgg) price for the 460 is affordable, and will probably be a better input match to my TV; the 530 won't allow the 60 FPS at 4K the TV will accept, had to dial down the FPS or got flicker and glitches.
But overall, fan noise rules my decision, I've read that there is a fancy fan control system in the Gigabyte Windforce 460 4GB I'm looking at but don't know how quiet it'll be. I really want a near silent computer. And for the NY Yankees to get into the playoffs...
Thank you again for your thoughts.

king3pj

Distinguished
A couple of things here. Switching to a modern GPU like the 460 that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant should help with things like 4K bluray support.

HDMI is also capable off lossless audio from bluray while optical is not. As someone who also has a nice sound receiver and cares about picture and audio quality this is a big deal. You want to see you audio receiver screen say it's receiving Multi-Channel PCM, DTS MA-HD, or Dolby TrueHD when you watch a bluray. Not PCM stereo, DTS, or Dolby Digital which is all your optical cable is capable off. This alone would be enough to get me to upgrade if your current parts can't do it.

As for the GPU fan, most of the new models have a system where they don't spin at all until the GPU gets above 60 C. This means they operate completely silently until they get hot. I don't know for sure but my guess that watching 4K video won't put a huge strain on the 460 so it will be pretty quiet most of the time.

Solution

Nergo Pthycc

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

Yup, the Denon audio system using the optical cable wasn't giving me all the options, so I'll have to select HDMI audio into it; that's very good info. Thanks for informing me about the newer GPU fan on/off operating options; my EVGA power supply runs like that. I'll be going for the 460 upgrade!

Thanks again for your expert advice!

UPDATE!

Well, I got the 460 from NewEgg, the Gigabyte 4 GB version. NOT happy!

Nice box, a "quick install guide" in many different languages. No driver disc; I had to download from AMD.
No instructions; I just ran the exe and let it install. A pain to set it up for 4K resolution on my only monitor, my 4K TV.

Plenty of room in my case. Everything runs cool and silent.

But the P.O.S. keeps crashing at 43 degrees C., and I gotta keep restarting the PC. I never played a game, never touched any settings other than to set the proper resolution. Message keeps displaying after a crash "Wattman setting has been restored to default" so what the heck is a "Wattman"?

Zero instructions. I've been slapping video cards into computers for 22 years and never had this much frustration!

I'm going back to the Intel 530, never had a problem with that, and this piece of garbage 460 is going back to NewEgg tomorrow.

PlasticMatt

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I don't want to stir the pot and cause trouble but even if the RX 460 came with driver disks, you ought to use the newest version from the website anyways. Wattman is AMD's power management and overclocking utility as seen here: http://www.amd.com/en-gb/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/radeon-wattman. You might have been able to uninstall it to solve your issue

Nergo Pthycc

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Buyer beware. I bought the 4GB Gigabyte 460 from NewEgg a couple months ago and returned it in a few days. It was going blank after 5 minutes or 5 hours, just not reliable and I never loaded a game, never overclocked, always running cool at 83F. Received a replacement and it worked fine for a couple weeks then started going nuts with loud fan RPM off and on. Always runs about 113F. Again, never pushed the card to any extremes, just displaying on my 4K TV as a HTPC.
Did I really receive 2 lemons in a row? The AMD "WattMan" (if you can ever figure it out) stinks, I'm just running everything at the default settings!
If I had to do everything over again, I would just keep using the Intel 530 built into my i7-6700, 32 GB ram, 2 SSD system; never had any problem with that at all. I thought I was upgrading and preparing for new games and DX12. Hah!
Avoid the 460 !

Nergo Pthycc

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
The gtx 1050ti is certainly something I'll consider, thank you for the news. I've been such a fanboy of ATI and AMD for 2 decades, but it just isn't the same company anymore.
Maybe I'll move the 460 to another computer or maybe it'll just meet my sledge hammer. (I'll post a picture) My anti-seizure drugs and chemo stuff makes me a bit grouchy when things don't go right...
As I'm watching some recorded TV right now, the 460, at 108F, is cycling between 0 and 4000 RPM fan speed.
Very unhappy with all the noise.