Solution
And inside that fancy Intel box...
WlzyB8S.png

Yes, I bought one a few weeks ago.
Retail typically means it will come in retail packaging with a box, manual etc. Sometimes you can get one that instead says OEM which normally comes with only the part and not the other stuff. Its not as common.

For example you used to be able to buy Retail or OEM Windows. OWM was basically a disc and a product key while retail was that and a box and manual etc.

Reactions: valeman2012

USAFRet

Titan
Probably means that it comes in an individual box, with a printed instruction and warranty sheet.

You, as a purchaser of a single item, would want that.

An OEM PC manufacturer might buy 500 of these, and would not want 500 individual user manuals.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Retail typically means it will come in retail packaging with a box, manual etc. Sometimes you can get one that instead says OEM which normally comes with only the part and not the other stuff. Its not as common.

For example you used to be able to buy Retail or OEM Windows. OWM was basically a disc and a product key while retail was that and a box and manual etc.
Probably comes in retail packaging INtel box? (vs. OEM, which might arrives merely wrapped in a small ESD bag inside a white envelope, etc..)
Probably means that it comes in an individual box, with a printed instruction and warranty sheet.

You, as a purchaser of a single item, would want that.

An OEM PC manufacturer might buy 500 of these, and would not want 500 individual user manuals.
So basically the product been "used" and placed in the normal brown box? even if it said new.

WreckerALeX

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
In short:

Retail comes with everything like box and Inserts

OEM comes with no box or inserts, just the product with anti-static plastic bag

"Used" is a different word and depends on seller. You should check the sellers and its condition

Retail is preferred for the normal person usually found in stores, OEM usually are bought in bulk and preferred by companies that doesn't want to deal with getting rid of the extra package.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Absolutely NOT used.
In short:

Retail comes with everything like box and Inserts

OEM comes with no box or inserts, just the product with anti-static plastic bag

"Used" is a different word and depends on seller. You should check the sellers and its condition

Retail is preferred for the normal person usually found in stores, OEM usually are bought in bulk and preferred by companies that doesn't want to deal with getting rid of the extra package.
Yea, i thought there was something wrong with the New item because it was slightly cheaper than the others Intel 660P (the one showing Intel 6 box). They are all sold by amazon.com (not third party).

WreckerALeX

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Yes it is good drive despite the short lifespan due to QLC.

The 500gb only rated 100tb writes, 1tb rated 200tb and 2tb rated 400tb...

So if you are removing stuff for new stuff all the time, which in the 500gb you probably will...maybe should consider at least the 1tb. It cost double but also double storage and lifespan while faster(Not double speed but it has the speed of the 2tb one).

It is fast and because it is cheap due to QLC, you should really consider the write lifespan

I got the 2tb and its a nice budget nvme ssd

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it is good drive despite the short lifespan due to QLC.

The 500gb only rated 100tb writes, 1tb rated 200tb and 2tb rated 400tb...

So if you are removing stuff for new stuff all the time, which in the 500gb you probably will...maybe should consider at least the 1tb. It cost double but also double storage and lifespan while faster(Not double speed but it has the speed of the 2tb one).

I got the 2tb and its a nice budget nvme ssd
100TBW is actually not nearly as limiting as you think.

My system has been SSD only for years. All the drives together, some of them 5 years old, don't add up to 100TBW.

Reactions: rocktalkrock

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
If it dies?
That's what warranty and backups are for.

Just like when my SanDisk 960GB died a couple of days before xmas. Put in a new drive, recover from the backup that ran at 4AM that morning.
No problem.

The physical drive is trivial.
Things die....be proactive, and prepare for that.
So that brown box was clean and not reused?

corrected

Last edited:

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I think he means the OEM packaging. I understand it does throw people off but no the OEM packaging does not mean its a used part its just a cheaper packaging method for OEMs to use instead of full packaging. Its still a brand new drive with the same warranty.
Ohh.....the brown BOX I posted above.
Yes, it was new. That was what was inside the fancy greenish/blueish Intel box.
Its good not some ripped box

Last edited:
I think he means the OEM packaging. … Its just a cheaper packaging method for OEMs to use instead of full packaging. Its still a brand new drive with the same warranty.
Are you sure? I know that in the case of hard drives an OEM warranty is often far shorter than a retail warranty. Moreover, HDD manufacturers generally tell you to return faulty drives to the OEM.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I wonder if my MyDigital BPX 120GB MLC SSD would perform better than that Intel 660P 512GB QLC SSD
I think i going put my My Digital SSD 120GB as the Windows 10 Education 64-bit Operating system and Intel 660P 512GB Drive as secondary.

Also, a good idea to use CCleaner daily or weekly or not use it at all to conserve SSD Lifespan?

USAFRet

Titan
I wonder if my MyDigital BPX 120GB MLC SSD would perform better than that Intel 660P 512GB QLC SSD
I think i going put my My Digital SSD 120GB as the Windows 10 Education 64-bit Operating system and Intel 660P 512GB Drive as secondary.

Also, a good idea to use CCleaner daily or weekly or not use it at all to conserve SSD Lifespan?
  1. I doubt you'd see any real user facing difference, apart from the size of the drives.
  2. CCleaner daily (or even weekly)? What are you doing that you need to run it that much, and which specific tools in there are you using?
  3. SSD "lifespan" is NOT a real concern anymore.
  4. You DO have full disk backups anyway, right?

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
  1. I doubt you'd see any real user facing difference, apart from the size of the drives.
  2. CCleaner daily (or even weekly)? What are you doing that you need to run it that much, and which specific tools in there are you using?
  3. SSD "lifespan" is NOT a real concern anymore.
  4. You DO have full disk backups anyway, right?
I might just run the ccleaner and ccleaner registry cleaner one time a month after updating Windows 10 and other drivers updates?