Question Intel 670p vs Solidigm P41

Jan 6, 2023
Hello. I am looking for a good NVME SSD and found the Intel 670p and Solidigm P41 reviews very helpful. However I am not clear on one thing. The Solidigm does not have a DRAM chip, from my understanding this should impact mostly random read performance and would translate into a more snappy experience in everyday tasks.

Looking at the graphs it seems the P41 actually has lower latency and better speeds in random small reads compared to the 670p. I'm not sure if the PCIE 4.0 compensates enough for the lack of DRAM but it seems to me that the Solidigm is just better at random reads than 670p despite not having a DRAM chip. The intel 670p actually costs more in my area so I am just wondering if am I actually missing anything by buying the P41 compared to the 670p?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where are you located, what is your budget for your SSD purchase and what is your preferred site for purchase? What sort of a task would you be taxing the purchased SSD with? Make and model of your motherboard(and processor)?

Jan 6, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where are you located, what is your budget for your SSD purchase and what is your preferred site for purchase? What sort of a task would you be taxing the purchased SSD with? Make and model of your motherboard(and processor)?

Hey! The Solidigm P41 is around 160$, I don't wish to spend too much, mainly because I think that around this level of performance will suffice, but would consider spending a bit more ( but below 200$) for a better value option.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600

I definitely want a 2TB SSD. I won't be transferring big file sizes frequently, will be doing some programming every so often, and generally interested in everyday tasks performance, which from my understanding would be most influenced by small random read and writes speeds and latency.

As a practical matter, it is best to ignore synthetic ssd benchmarks.
Particularly those with maximum queuing.
In actual usage, you will be hard pressed to detect any differences.
These guys could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

The windows ssd is one that you do not want to have any issues with.
For that reason, I would suggest the intel ssd or a samsung ssd.
They make their own parts and can control quality better.