Intel 710 Lyndonville, 720 Ramsdale SSD Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]tank[/nom]2200 MB/s and 1800 MB/sWow... thats freakin awesome.[/citation]
You have not seen the price tag yet (~$3,000).

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
If you use supercache/supervolume to utilize some of your system ram as a cache buffer around 512MB-1GB on SSD's or USB thumb drives you can do much faster speeds than that the quicker the system ram the better.

tallpaul02

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
so why are they not making a competitive sataIII ssd? the 510 series is not competitive with the ~500-550MB/s drives on the market and the 710/720 are way below and way above them respectively. seem to be missing out on a pretty big opportunity there.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tallpaul02[/nom]so why are they not making a competitive sataIII ssd? the 510 series is not competitive with the ~500-550MB/s drives on the market and the 710/720 are way below and way above them respectively. seem to be missing out on a pretty big opportunity there.[/citation]
SATA II is way more than enough to suffice. In fact, even the 720 doesn't need SATA III (though it's released only for the PCIe slot).

tallpaul02

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]SATA II is way more than enough to suffice. In fact, even the 720 doesn't need SATA III (though it's released only for the PCIe slot).[/citation]um...no? sata2 has a theoretical limit of 300MB/s and sata3 has such of 600MB/s. subtract out the difference between theoretical limits and actual performance and no, sata2 is not anywhere near enough. how do you figure 2200 read and 1800 write is going to happen on a 300MB/s interface?

G

[citation][nom]tallpaul02[/nom]um...no? sata2 has a theoretical limit of 300MB/s and sata3 has such of 600MB/s. subtract out the difference between theoretical limits and actual performance and no, sata2 is not anywhere near enough. how do you figure 2200 read and 1800 write is going to happen on a 300MB/s interface?[/citation]
Ehmmm, it states it right in the short article that it is PCI-E not SATA, unless I missed something you both have missed the point.

tallpaul02

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]radiovan[/nom]Ehmmm, it states it right in the short article that it is PCI-E not SATA, unless I missed something you both have missed the point.[/citation]reportected was saying that sata2 was more than enough. i was pointing out the problem with that statement (and the obvious reason they opted for pcie as a result.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I love how quickly SSD's are advancing, but only because I don't yet own one. I'm still holding out until the capacity and cost per gigabyte comes down a bit more. If I actually bought one I'd be pissed because it seems in 3 months whatever you buy now will be completely obsolete by a newer, faster, and cheaper model.

[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]25Watts? That's way beyond even 10 year old 15k SCSI drives. How did they manage to make it consume that much power?[/citation]

PCIe bus, thats how. A PCIe 2.0 x16 lane provides 150 watts of power while SATA doesn't. Its possible that the bus itself is unable to throttle power usage or in order to obtain those speeds, they need a minimal amount of power at all times.

Still, 2200MB/s would be insane and this is probably geared towards servers mainly. It will probably be at least a 4x PCIe 2.0 as well.

[citation][nom]tallpaul02[/nom]so why are they not making a competitive sataIII ssd? the 510 series is not competitive with the ~500-550MB/s drives on the market and the 710/720 are way below and way above them respectively. seem to be missing out on a pretty big opportunity there.[/citation]

Make sense since the performance is about 10x better, it use about 10x more power.

[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]25Watts? That's way beyond even 10 year old 15k SCSI drives. How did they manage to make it consume that much power?[/citation]

Sorry qoute the wrong comment shout be this one

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Make sense since the performance is about 10x better, it use about 10x more power.[/citation]

Indeed, likely Intel's with the 720 have made what Ocz did with their Revo Drive line. Tons of nands and several controllers linked together with a raid chip. If so the question is what raid level is used (hopefully something like raid5 since it can handle if one of the controllers die completely but more likely raid0 due to cost) and the bigger question - Does it support trim?

Or the burst could be explained that intel uses a clever ram cache on the pci-e board, time will tell!

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
still don't care until SSD's are big and cheap enough for the mass market.

at least 500GB for around $100-150.

anything higher is not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.