Intel 710 SSD fatal device hardware error

zwalker178

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I bought an Intel 710 300GB ssd to swap for my laptop's hard drive. I have a SATA 2.5" connector for a usb port that I used to clone my current hard drive to the ssd. After swapping and failing to properly boot I wanted to erase everything on the ssd, but when i went open it in disk management it wanted me to initialize the disk. I selected to initialize as master boot record (MBR) but all it gives me "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error". Should I be trying to replace this drive (I think its still under warranty) or is there something I overlooked to get it working again?

Solution
Hey there, zwalker178!

This error definitely sounds concerning. I'd still advise you to check how the SSD appears on another computer, so that you are absolutely sure the issue is coming from the drive itself.
Indeed, since it's still under warranty you should definitely contact the manufacturer's customer support and let them know about this problem. You should be able to RMA the product and get a replacement from them.

Best of luck! Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, zwalker178!

This error definitely sounds concerning. I'd still advise you to check how the SSD appears on another computer, so that you are absolutely sure the issue is coming from the drive itself.
Indeed, since it's still under warranty you should definitely contact the manufacturer's customer support and let them know about this problem. You should be able to RMA the product and get a replacement from them.

Best of luck! Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

zwalker178

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Thanks for your help SuperSoph, I tried it on my friend's computer and it was detected just fine and no longer shows the error on my computer. Not really sure why it wasn't working but I'm thankful it is now!