Intel 8086K overclocking help

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
I’ve been able to get to 4.3Ghz stable without increasing voltage. As soon as I hit 4.4, my windows BSOD so I increased voltage. But I haven’t been able to get it stable. Is this my max? Or can I manage to do more(whenever I do 5GHz with 1.3v windows can’t even start so).

Also my temps have been under 60 with Aida64 on the 4.3 oc.

Specs:
i7-8086K
ASUS Prime Z370-A
8GB Crucial Ballistix
GTX 1060 3GB
EVGA 650GQ
CoolerMaster ML240L RGB AIO

Solution
The max most lucky people (top 15%) got is 5.3GHz on all cores. So no, you're good up to 5.0GHZ on all cores with the worst chip unless you got a defective one.

Manually enter a high Vcore like 1.30v (Safe till 1.40v) + LLC (Load Line Calibration) on Level 4/50% or more, then increase your clock. When you have reached the OC you want, you can start tweaking your voltage and LLC. Without LLC, you can't go too high.

Also, disable power saving options as well, they can cause instabilities.

Keep your max daily usage temps to below 75c or max torture test to 85c and your good to go.
---------------------
EDIT: rhoban, it's 4.3 GHz on all cores at stock turbo, not 4.7Ghz. More info:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8086k...

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
The max most lucky people (top 15%) got is 5.3GHz on all cores. So no, you're good up to 5.0GHZ on all cores with the worst chip unless you got a defective one.

Manually enter a high Vcore like 1.30v (Safe till 1.40v) + LLC (Load Line Calibration) on Level 4/50% or more, then increase your clock. When you have reached the OC you want, you can start tweaking your voltage and LLC. Without LLC, you can't go too high.

Also, disable power saving options as well, they can cause instabilities.

Keep your max daily usage temps to below 75c or max torture test to 85c and your good to go.
---------------------
EDIT: rhoban, it's 4.3 GHz on all cores at stock turbo, not 4.7Ghz. More info:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8086k
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake
--------------------
OP, I recommend you skim through this to get a general idea for future OCs.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3761568/cpu-overclocking-guide-tutorial-beginners-work-progress.html

Solution

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Ah, that might’ve been what I was missing the LLC. I’ll have to check it out when I come home. Any other settings you recommend? I’m new this so I need as much help as I can get.

All you have to do is enable MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) in the bios and it will run 5.0 Ghz.

Reset all to default, save and go back in and enable MCE.

Download and update to the latest BIOS before you do anything however.

You don't have to do anything else so don't overthink it, enable MCE and forget about it.

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

I’ve heard that ASUS boards are rough with the voltage in MCE, and I’d have to manual Voltage. Also, are you sure that would work?

Update the bios.

Enable MCE, save and reboot.

Check the voltage and see what it's set at.

If it's at or below 1.35v or so it's FINE.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I’ve heard that ASUS boards are rough with the voltage in MCE, and I’d have to manual Voltage. Also, are you sure that would work?
Ah, Multi-Core Enhancement is good for beginners too. Completely forgot that as you had gone manual.

If you're worried about voltage, you can use the voltage motherboard puts as a reference and decrease it a little as most motherboard overvolt to guarantee stability.

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

I see, I’ll try it out when I get home. If it doesn’t work to my liking, I’ll just stick to Manual.

Make sure you update to the latest bios BEFORE you try it.

All of the MB makers have had bios updates for the 8086K.

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

After a nice BIOS update and setting my LLC on to level 5. Then I finally did....

I reached a stable 5.0Ghz at 1.26V. I'm gonna leave it at that.

Regarding the Multi-Core Enhancement, My motherboard only had Auto and Disabled. So I just decided to do the LLC and voltage and it worked!

I get 70C on Aida64 100% load.
My CPU-Z validation is also official!