Intel 860 3ghz EM64T & Gigabyte GA-8I915G-MF

vermbuzz

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
I recently purchased an Intel 860 3ghz EM64T & Gigabyte GA-8I915G-MF motherboard. It was running perfectly but then started having problems. When switching on the machine the fan does not start. The alarm sounds that the CPU fan is standing still. After a little while i goes on. It looks as if is it struggling to turn. I saw on the gigabyte website they have a BIOS update for CPU EIST Function. I updated the bios from f4 to f7 to no avail. I was also told by some other source that it is the Smart fan capabilities of the mobo and CPU that's giving me a problem. Any suggestions?

The rest of the hardware is a ATI X800 PCI-E and a 350 watt powersuply. 2hhd's and 2 roms.

Thanks in advance

There are only 3 kinds of people in the world. Thos who can count and those who cannot!

endyen

Splendid
The fan is dead. The heat from your chip killed it. Go water cooling, it's the only way to run that chip, and not end up being throttled most of the time.
Or get one of these <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050607/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050607/index.html</A>

vermbuzz

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Thanks for the reply. The fan does turn but not immediatly.. If the fan was dead it would have not worked at all..

There are only 3 kinds of people in the world. Thos who can count and those who cannot!

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Does the Bios have some option for "smart fan" or something ? I'm guessing the MB is trying to run the fan at a slow speed, and the fan won't start at too low a voltage. If that doesn't help, just replace the fan.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Could also be a problem with the PSU. Also check your voltages once you've entered the BIOS. 350W might be underpowered for a dual core P4...