[SOLVED] Intel 8600k, 8700k, 9600k or 9700k?

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
I'm looking to get a strong intel CPU for gaming, not sure which one to choose though. I value price and performance and will be playing games like Fortnite at 1080p 144Hz, Overclocking my CPU and pairing it with a rtx 2060.
Thanks.

Solution
As I said before and you didn't even close previous forum threads, the i5 is almost the same especially overclocked, the i7 only gives you better performance in other stuff like installing games, streaming, archiving files, doing workloads or stuff, etc.

For gaming only if you don't have the money, get a i5. Otherwise get a i7, you get more cores which may benefit any unforseen future needs. 8th or 9th generation is all the same, just pick one you like, the 8th is cheaper and is a bit more reliable since it's been out a while.
If you have money just laying around, get the 9700k.

For Fortnite only as I already told you and showed you a video, the Ryzen is just under Epic 144 fps. So the 8600k is good enough, the 9600k (same with the...
I'm looking to get a strong intel CPU for gaming, not sure which one to choose though. I value price and performance and will be playing games like Fortnite at 1080p 144Hz, Overclocking my CPU and pairing it with a rtx 2060.
Thanks.

144Hz means it's capable of receiving 144FPS and if the GPU is too slow to keep up there may be visual cues that something isn't exactly right. The 2060 isn't a top end card so don't expect 144FPS consistantly. If I wanted to keep the balance of the build I'd look to a 1070Ti considering your goal. The 2060 would prefer a 60Hz monitor.

The i5 9600 is on par with your goal.

Is there a hard budget?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
If the budget is smaller then go with i7 8700k, if bigger go with the 8700k, but the difference between the cpus isn't that big, so if you value price to performance highly, go with the 8700k. But if you don't mind going on the amd platform, the ryzen 7 2700x brings about the same frame rates as the 8700k and (kinda) the 9700k in a lot of games, while giving those handy extra cores and threads.

Cioby

Distinguished
As I said before and you didn't even close previous forum threads, the i5 is almost the same especially overclocked, the i7 only gives you better performance in other stuff like installing games, streaming, archiving files, doing workloads or stuff, etc.

For gaming only if you don't have the money, get a i5. Otherwise get a i7, you get more cores which may benefit any unforseen future needs. 8th or 9th generation is all the same, just pick one you like, the 8th is cheaper and is a bit more reliable since it's been out a while.
If you have money just laying around, get the 9700k.

For Fortnite only as I already told you and showed you a video, the Ryzen is just under Epic 144 fps. So the 8600k is good enough, the 9600k (same with the 8700k and 9700k) might give you a little more fps which you won't even use. So in the end it's a question of money and if you want to be sure in the future since this CPU will hold you for 7+ years.

Solution