Intel 875k and Corsair H50 Running hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
eh.png

:eek:

Using my Corsair h50. Now I had the same cooler on my Intel Core Q9300 and it ran hot on that aswell, I just assumed that the Q9300 just ran hot. Is this a normal temp with Liquid Cooling?

Thanks.

Solution
1| Welcome to the forums, newcomer!
2| What TIM are you using?
3| What case are using to incorporate teh H50? and
4| How have you setup the H50 - intake or exhaust - in push/pull config?

& Read this

Is this a normal temp with Liquid Cooling?
The corsair H50 was designed to compete with high end air coolers ,that were like skyscrapers in your PC case, and FYI a real liquid cooling setup wouldn't show temps touching what you have :) even on an OC.

with an i5-750/760 you can push it a lil past 4.0GHz but don't expect the same output with the i7-875k :na:

Lutfij

Titan
1| Welcome to the forums, newcomer!
2| What TIM are you using?
3| What case are using to incorporate teh H50? and
4| How have you setup the H50 - intake or exhaust - in push/pull config?

& Read this

Is this a normal temp with Liquid Cooling?
The corsair H50 was designed to compete with high end air coolers ,that were like skyscrapers in your PC case, and FYI a real liquid cooling setup wouldn't show temps touching what you have :) even on an OC.

with an i5-750/760 you can push it a lil past 4.0GHz but don't expect the same output with the i7-875k :na:

Solution

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
1. Thanks
2. Sadly I forgot to pick some off the store so I got a good amount off of my old CPU, (enough to get a good layer on it). Does that matter all that much?
3. I'm using the coolermaster storm, with 1 120 in the front, one on top, and two on the side.
4. I have the H50 set with 2 fans both pulling it in. What is push pull?

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
ok i'll lay off the sequencing :D

Your welcome!

Sadly I forgot to pick some off the store so I got a good amount off of my old CPU, (enough to get a good layer on it). Does that matter all that much?
OFCOURSE!!!!
quick ques' : why is TIM needed between the CPU and HSF/cooling plate?
ans: its an interface material that'll help fill in uneven spots within the CPU and cooling plate. From factory settings the CPU comes as a slight bulge...lapping it exposes the copper under the nickel plating and most cooling plates have uneven surfaces. To ensure a (near)PERFECT contact...TIM is used.

First thing to do before you want another shot at OC...order your TIM now!
What TIM you use also affects the temps you get. I prefer Arctic Cooling MX-2/3/4 or ICD24

I'm using the coolermaster storm, with 1 120 in the front, one on top, and two on the side.
looking into the case for a feedback

I have the H50 set with 2 fans both pulling it in. What is push pull?
here's what push pull means. A fan is used to push air through a media while another fan behind it is used to pull air from the media. e'g: Fan(pull)<HSF/RAD<Fan(push) for exhaust setup

or the other way round Fan(push)>HSF/RAD>Fan(pull) for intake setup

If you really want to get the most off your H50 check this link : Official Corsair H50/H70 mod/owners club

Here's my CorsairH50 NB mod in my member configuration: Rig 1 kinda like this one. Sorry i'm away from rig 1 and i didn;t have my SLR with me. I've modded it with a second rad. 4 fans with shroud in push/pull.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007

Awesome, It was running really hot at like 83c with prime95. I realized my motherboard had my Vcore set to 1.35, so I set it to 1.15. and temps have settled.

I'll go get Artic today, Also with these current temps for 35-40c idle, there really isnt much room for an O/C is there?

Also now I realize, Yes I am using Push, pull.. but I might switch the stock fans with my 130cfm fans, if it would help at all.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Alright, After some runnings with Prime95.

My averages are from 34C on idle to 67c on 100% load. As soon as my cpu goes back down, instantly my temps get pushed back down to 40c. Whats the limit on temperature with these I7s? 70c?.. If so, it seems like I don't have much room for o/c. Realistically I would love to reach 3.6ghz or 3.8 at most.
eh-1.png

Also those mods looks sick!, Might be something I look at when I have some more cash so I can replace when/if I break it :p

Lutfij

Titan
Intel states that the CPU's highest running temps should be 70C~74C...keep it below that and your all good!

the fan shroud mod can help increase static pressure and improve airflow between the rad...again, do check out the thread i posted. I'm also a member there with the same username. The last time i checked, the thread ran for 1200pages :p but you'll find all you'll need in the first hundred pages.

heres how my fan setup is
fan<shroud<Rad<shroud<fan exhaust setup to the top of case. The spedo has ample room to accommodate that setup.

Glad you liked them... :)

Read this if you missed this in my first post.

Fan recommendations for H50:
its in the fan list on the corsair H50 thread i posted...go through it and you'll get heaps of info :)

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Weird, my default Easytune6 software that came with my Gigabyte board. Says the CPU is running at 30C when Coretemp says 40C. How do I know which one is right? ^_^

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Speedfan gives me a BSOD for some reason =p

Got CPUID Hardware monitor, and of course its the higher one. So its not 30C it's 40C, but I'm not sure.. because Easytune is the software that came with my motherboard... If that matters at all lol. :(

Lutfij

Titan
I have ProbeIT on my Asus board: but get this, Asus released a fix for the program, cos it reported improper temps...IF you ahve moe than 2 programs running...you can avergae it. But the best idea is getting a temp probe and checking it out for yourself. Stick with HWmonitor.

just to be sure

I had a GA865PE board with the same software, esay tune is VERY glitchy. Core temp and HW monitor report both the same temps...so be careful how you load your CPU...better get that TIM ASAP!!!

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Just got some TIM, I JUST put it on and i'm getting temps idle-33c and load of 51c

and that's overclocked at 3.2ghz :)

Question: Now I did put a little pea size amount on and circled the heatsink on it so it could spread. is a peasize amount enough?

Lutfij

Titan
actually if you've followed the Corsair links then it states that you places five peasize drops on the cpu like this:

|o o|
| o |
|o o|

and place the heatsink totally vertical, without any rotation. The near vertical force applied will spread the TIM in all directions.

Lutfij

Titan
If your planning to sell your cpu , you could ask the guy you'd sell to , to check its cores via CPU-Z...otherwise, loosing the specs written on a cpu is frankly meaningless. Everybody, as well as I, can't stop raving about the ICD...very cool and efficient with OC systems. Though i'm using MX-4, awesome specs with temps.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Yeah, I ran out so I've got like 2 pea size drops on it. This IC diamond stuff takes awhile to cure right?, Also removing the markings on the CPU voids Intels warranty, but then again... Doesn't over-clocking? :p. I'll go pick up some more IC Diamond

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Alright, just put it on as directed. :D

Untitled-12.png

The results are enjoyable, maybe I'll even get lower after it cures!

--- Edit ---

Okay, so for the sake of it I tried to take it to 4ghz. I ramped the Vcore from 1.2 to 1.23 and changed the Multiplier to 30 (not sure if changing the freq would be better), Surprised it actually booted. here is what it idles at!

Untitled-13.png

Status
Not open for further replies.