Intel 8th Gen Mobile CPU

timekiller

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hi
I wanted to buy a new laptop. As there are very frew AMD Ryzen laptop almost none in my Country (Pakistan). I wanted to know if Intel 8th Gen CPU (Core i5-8250u to be specific) have Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

P.S: I am not talking about software patch. I wanted to know if they are protected from those two out of box.

Solution

According...

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

The new 8th Gen mobile CPU's just launched not very long ago and Intel has fixed Spectre and Meltdown on those CPU's down to the architectural level on the die itself. You should be perfectly free from spectre and meltdown.

timekiller

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Just when i made up my mind i found this
https://www.techpowerup.com/240283/intel-released-coffee-lake-knowing-it-was-vulnerable-to-spectre-and-meltdown

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

According to the article that is for the desktop variants, the mobile variants shouldn't be vulnerable to it since they should have been designed after spectre and meltdown were discovered since the mobile chips were just recently released unlike the desktop variants. Intel was already very far into designing the desktop variants that it would set them back too far in the CPU race and they would loose a lot to AMD in market share if they wouldn't have released it when they did. Expect the vulnerabilities to be fixed in 9th gen desktop and it shouldn't appear in the 8th gen mobile variants.

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I know it takes up to a year or longer, however I am also certain that they started designing the mobile CPU's after the desktop variants which should have given them enough time to correct the Spectre and Meltdown issues on the mobile ones.