Intel 9-Series vs 8-series

Sep 3, 2018
I'm looking into upgrading my system in the coming months, as my i7-2600k at 4.6 is finally starting to show its age with the GTX1080 I just picked up. This processor is still a beast, and I couldn't be more impressed with how its keeping up in late 2018, but for gaming at 1440p/144hz I'm definitely losing out on a little bit of performance.

I've looked into Ryzen and I'm happy AMD is putting some pressure on Intel but it seems like for high-fps gaming Intel is still the way to go. I was planning to build around an 8600k, but with the 9-series around the corner I'm curious what kind of performance increases we can expect.
Obviously the 8c/8t and 8c/16t are going to be monsters, even compared to a 8700k, but should we expect any performance boosts outside of the core counts?

The leaks for the 9600k has higher base and turbo clocks than the 8600k, does that mean it'll have higher overclocking headroom as well? Will there be any IPC improvements, even if its small like 6700k vs 7700k?

Solution

I'd say the chances of any real IPC improvements are quite low, it's more likely just going to be more cores, and some improvements to the 14nm process might allow for slightly higher clockspeeds. There is also a rumour that the 9700k and 9900k will have soldered heatspreaders, which would improve temperatures and offer better overclocking. Supposedly the 9th gen chips are launching around October, so you could wait and see what they offer, but it probably isn't going to be a huge step up over what's currently on the market.

Solution