[SOLVED] Intel 9260 wifi card with i5-4210H 4th Gen

Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

I have a Acer VN7-791G-57BP model laptop with i5-4210H 4th generation. And I have just ordered an Intel 9260 wireless card.

Would it be a problem that my processor is a little bit older?

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
Your cpu should make no difference the wifi is a separate processor. There are some intel wifi6 cards that have some dependency but I forget what it is. That seems to be the 1 odd ball card everything else does not care. What you look for is does it use the connector type, does it have the same number of antenna, and does it have bluetooth support. If these match you can pretty much swap cards. Years ago you had to worry about BIOS restrictions on cards brands but that was mostly HP laptops used in businesses.

From the little I can tell those cards have similar specs so I assume you replacing a defective one. They likely will perform the same.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The problem you've just created is...you buy after you've got a confirmation, not the other way round. With Acer laptop, they have a vast number of SKU's so with yours, I can't seem to find information or images of the motherboard that's inside your laptop.

Last I checked, the WiFi card on the motherboard should be an mini PCIe based adapter while the 9260 is an NGFF(M.2) form factor. If it's the same internals as this laptop, then you should be good to go.

Reactions: Ahmetnbr
Dec 4, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The problem you've just created is...you buy after you've got a confirmation, not the other way round. With Acer laptop, they have a vast number of SKU's so with yours, I can't seem to find information or images of the motherboard that's inside your laptop.

Last I checked, the WiFi card on the motherboard should be an mini PCIe based adapter while the 9260 is an NGFF(M.2) form factor. If it's the same internals as this laptop, then you should be good to go.
Hello Lutfıj,

Thank you very much for the feed back. The thing is I've done a lot of research before selecting 9260 already. After my decision I gave the order. Only then I thought about my old processor and I wanted to search about it but I could not find anything.

But sure, I would like to share my configuration information also with you and ask for you opinion :)

Firstly, your item I am planning to purchase:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07FDTY98D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Secondly, the configuration of my laptop:
https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2014/4876/VN7-791G/NX.MQREY.003.html

The third, the default wireless card model of my laptop: (Unfortunately I could not find a web page for the original product. But I found an Ebay link which shows the product.)
qualcomm atheros QCNFA34AC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspir...ne-Wireless-WiFi-Card-QCNFA34AC-/223073808495

And again, thank you for your interest :)

Your cpu should make no difference the wifi is a separate processor. There are some intel wifi6 cards that have some dependency but I forget what it is. That seems to be the 1 odd ball card everything else does not care. What you look for is does it use the connector type, does it have the same number of antenna, and does it have bluetooth support. If these match you can pretty much swap cards. Years ago you had to worry about BIOS restrictions on cards brands but that was mostly HP laptops used in businesses.

From the little I can tell those cards have similar specs so I assume you replacing a defective one. They likely will perform the same.

Solution
Dec 4, 2020

Hey bill, thx for the answer :)

I am glad to hear that. Actually there was a web site (unfortunatelly I could not find it now) and there was a information on the list about which processor you should have minumun etc. and it made me confused. That is why I have been searching about this topic and I could not find anything :)

A quick question, my old wireless card was supporting bluetooth 4.1 new one supports 5.1. Would it be a problem? Is it means I will be able to use 5.1 now?

Thanks again :)

I am pretty sure it will work fine with your current devices. Almost all this stuff supports older devices, you just get no benefit from whatever new feature it has. You of course need to load the drivers that come with the card.

If you are running a OS older than window10 check to be sure there are drivers. This much more than a old CPU chip can limit your choice of equipment.