Hi everyone

I purchased used computer probably 2y old with
Asus TUF Z390
I5 9600k
2x8GB Crucial 3200mhz
Evga RTX 2060
Corsair 480gb m.2
Kratos 750w

First thing i noticed is that CPU was stuck at 800mhz. I have another rig with Z370 and 9600k and it works perfectly. I was only able to move that up with throttle stop but then i was having huge temperatures. I end up buying new MB (MSI B365M Mortar), and it seemed as problem is solved because CPU wasn't stuck anymore.

Installed Warzone tried it and CPU was reaching up to 100c in a game. I assumed it's cooler so got Vetroo V5 that's actually better than Thermaltake i had.
Soon as installed cooler i tried warzone again, it hits even faster 100c. I don't know what else to do, i am guessing that something got fried in that CPU by kid that had that PC before but of course he is saying how everything was working right but he told me he did OC.

Do you guys have any suggestion how to fix this, what programs to use to test?

Windows reinstalled few times, bios done to default, didn't touch voltage or anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021
Either you did something wrong when installing the cooler or the cooler is simply not strong enough.

Another cause might be the airflow of you case.

how many intake-fans ? how many exhaust-fans? Position of them ?
Case is Zalman and it's not that well. It has 2 fans one back and one in front. Even with open side door when i allow more air to flow in i get the same effect.
Old thermal paste was cleaned, new one installed. Cooler was tighten but not all the way to the screws because it's seems that already sit proper on CPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Front fan was installed backwards. For reference:
iu
Make sure the cpu cooler's fan is also mounted pushing air through the heatsink.

Remove the OC - go into bios, find and select the option to run 'optimized defaults', save and exit.
Go back into bios, and make sure Asus MCE(Multi Core Enhancement) is disabled. Turn it off if it's not, and save and exit again.
Test thermals.

Reactions: Ralston18
Jul 1, 2021
Front fan was installed backwards. For reference:
iu
Make sure the cpu cooler's fan is also mounted pushing air through the heatsink.

Remove the OC - go into bios, find and select the option to run 'optimized defaults', save and exit.
Go back into bios, and make sure Asus MCE(Multi Core Enhancement) is disabled. Turn it off if it's not, and save and exit again.
Test thermals.
Will do that with fan. It's currently on brand new MSI B365M mortar. Asus Z370 is taken out.

When i was running on Z370 it was 800mhz and i had a warning in XTE Thermal Throttling, so cpu was locked on 800mhz and 35c. Couldn't find a way to disable it so i went with new motherboard where i didnt have that issue but got huge temp issue

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021
on your picture. why does it look like the cpu and back case fan power cable go outside of the case?
Picture was taken before i start pc. Cable for cooler is plugged, one that go on back side is for rgb lights that i dont have option to attach. Later i plugged back fan as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgd1101

Ralston18

Titan
And I would "untangle" and otherwise loosen up some of those bunched up cables if you have not already done so.

For example: that knot to the right and slightly above of the GPU card.

No hard bends/crimps, binding, etc.. Remove and/or loosen zip ties.

Jul 1, 2021
Problem solved!!!

Removed cooler, cleaned again, applied thermal paste in X shape. Screws were tighten less than last time. It goes up to 65 max. Iddle 28-35.

Thanks everyone!!!!