• nforce 590

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • chipset? i have lost my way in the forumz''s

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Question? when upgradeing to an intel core 2 duo which chipset do you think will be the best?

also Corssfire is worthless to me because i am nerver again going with an ATI card. but SLI could happen.. as of now i have a 7900GT (evga)

so assumeing that i go with the E6600 (that is the $300 ..right) and i reuse the 2 gigs of ddr2 533 (4200) memory i have which chipset / board would be the best.

Thanks in advance.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Good question. I was thinking about sticking with Gigabyte's Intel chipset since it supposedly "supports" Quad Core. Then again, let's look back at Intel's history. How many motherboard revisions were there for LGA775?! Let's see, first, we got LGA775 for the 500 and 600 series. Then Pentium D came out and used the same socket, but required NEW motherboards. With AMD S939, when it first came out, only had single core CPUs out. Then Dual Core comes out. "Oh no, I have to update my BIOS so I can get a Dual Core" compared to, Intel, "Hey, Dual Core CPUs are out and use the same socket but require a new motherboard!" -.-

somewhat hesitant...

perhaps it's better to stick with a cheap mobo and wait till December or whenever the whole "Quad Core" CPUs come out

for now, I'm thining about just sticking with my original setup. I mean, HEY! IT STILL RUNS FAIRLY WELL FOR A 2 YEAR OLD COMPUTER!

Besides, I still have my old P4 2GHz Northwood that overclocks to 2.8 :D that I can use for other stuff while I game on my AMD :D

The real question... do you really need a new computer??? Or do you just want something to show off at the next LAN party :tongue:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797

I would suggest the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, since it seems to be the best in nearly all categories. It is also based on the 975X chipset which most people agree to be more stable than the 965, althought I really like the Southbridge on the 965. Asus is also a good mobo manufacturer so you can't go wrong with them. The Asus P5N32-SLI supports Conroe and SLI, but if you really want SLI, wait for the nForce 590 to hit Intel mobo's and get that. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with the P5W.

Its true there are numerous mobo revisions, but one of the things that Intel really pushed with its core architecture is the base platform. They emphasized that the platform shouldn't change for many years, to give system admins a break whenever they need to upgrade only a part of their computers. I wouldn't worry about new chips coming out that can't run on any mobo that can run Conroe right now, so whatever you buy should last you a good long time. Happy hunting!