[SOLVED] intel 9900k pci lanes

Infinity95

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
So my mainboard just died and i'm considering upgrading to a 9900k. My previous cpu was a 6800k.
I have a graphics card installed plus an additional soundcard which uses another pcie slot. In addition i have an m.2 ssd installed on the MB and three additional drives over sata.
Will the 16 pcie lanes of the 9900k be enough?

Solution
So my mainboard just died and i'm considering upgrading to a 9900k. My previous cpu was a 6800k.
I have a graphics card installed plus an additional soundcard which uses another pcie slot. In addition i have an m.2 ssd installed on the MB and three additional drives over sata.
That is a normal setup and you will have more than enough lanes from the system. I would also look into the Ryzen 3700X, it is a lot cheaper but has better application performance and is only slightly slower in 1080p gaming when using a 2080Ti.
That is a normal setup and you will have more than enough lanes from the system. I would also look into the Ryzen 3700X, it is a lot cheaper but has better application performance and is only slightly slower in 1080p gaming when using a 2080Ti.

Solution

Infinity95

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
Thank you for the quick reply. I don't only use my system for gaming (only about 1/3 of the time). Other uses are development (i.e. i work on a project with very long compile times, utilizing all available cores) and video rendering. Would you still recommend the ryzen?
My curren't graphics card is a gtx 980. That should be enough for my gaming uses and i don't plan on swapping it.

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't only use my system for gaming (only about 1/3 of the time). Other uses are development (i.e. i work on a project with very long compile times, utilizing all available cores) and video rendering. Would you still recommend the ryzen?
My curren't graphics card is a gtx 980. That should be enough for my gaming uses and i don't plan on swapping it.
The Ryzen 3700X is a great overall CPU. Video rendering, Linux compiles, etc... it will be more than ready for it.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar
Those reviews have both the 3700X & the 3900X. Since you are doing video rendering the extra cores of the 3900X would help, it is a 12c/24t CPU and it costs almost $100 less than the 9900K.

Infinity95

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
I took a look at the reviews and comparisons to the intel cpus and i think the ryzen 3900x might be the best for my needs. Do you have any recommendations on which motherboard to use with the cpu?
I have everything else on me already (only mb died).

I took a look at the reviews and comparisons to the intel cpus and i think the ryzen 3900x might be the best for my needs. Do you have any recommendations on which motherboard to use with the cpu?
I have everything else on me already (only mb died).
A good price/performance board is the ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi. The include WiFi is 802.11/ax with BT 5.0. If you don't need the WiFi then you can get the non WiFi version about $15 cheaper. That said the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra is a good but more expensive board and the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus is a good cheaper board.