Intel AC 7260 wifi card failed to start (error code 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
This is my first post in this forum or any forum. I have Asus N53SV laptop, Intel core i7 2750, 16 GB RAM, nVidea GT 540M 2GB, windows 10.

I recently upgraded the wifi card to Intel AC 7260 hmw wifi card because my Atheros 9002WB card does not support 5GHz. After replacing the card I installed the latest Intel PROSet 20.10.2 driver. The bluetooth seems to work fine but the wifi doesn't work at all. The device manager says the latest drivers are already installed, but the card won't start because of error code 10. Even the network settings don't show the adapter. I looked into a lot of forums and found couple of suggested solutions. I tried them all but still the card doesn't work. The first thing that I did was boot into linux (kali 2018.2) to check if the card was defective, it wasn't as I could connect to the 5GHz network and download with full speed as well. Then I figured it's windows error so I got a 500GB samsung 860 evo ssd (part of upgrading this old laptop) and installed windows 10 fresh and the card still doesn't work. Then I thought that my laptop came with windows 7 preinstalled so the card might work in windows 7, installed windows 7 fresh and the Intel PROSet drivers, still the same issue. Then some forum and amazon suggested to cover pin 20 and 51 with tape, did that still the card doesn't work. Also during these OS installs I deleted, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers many times to no avail. I am at a loss now. I have wasted so much time on this. I really want this card to work and don't wanna go back to that slow wifi card (still useful). If anyone could provide me with a solution or direct me to find the solution, that would be very helpful. Thank you for your time.

P.S.- English isn't my first language. And sorry for the long post, I gave all the info that I could think of as important. Please do ask if you need more info.

Solution
You might have to contact ASUS and check if the wifi card is compatible with the computer.

You cannot replace parts in a laptop as you can in a desktop. Laptop motherboards are custom made and might not have all the pins connected or the hardware is not recognized since it is not on the compatibility list.
You might have to contact ASUS and check if the wifi card is compatible with the computer.

You cannot replace parts in a laptop as you can in a desktop. Laptop motherboards are custom made and might not have all the pins connected or the hardware is not recognized since it is not on the compatibility list.

Solution
Jul 28, 2018
Have you gotten that wireless card to work ? I have the exact same problem on a ASUS N551jk except I was replacing an intel dual band wireless N 7260 card with the AC 7260, so basically the same set of drivers apply to both of them. Bluetooth works fine but I get code 10 for the wireless card. I've tried everything except for a fresh windows reinstall but based on what you say that won't work either. If it was blacklisted it wouldn't let me boot at all and ASUS doesn't do that kind of stuff in the first place. Pin 20 and 51 don't do anything because the laptop doesn't have hardware buttons to toggle the wifi/bluetooth functions and the N7260 works fine without them being covered. I reinstalled the latest drivers a couple of times with different methods with internet turned off but still get the error. If it was a hardware issue it wouldn't be recognized at all and bluetooth wouldn't work either. I find it very difficult to remove the drivers completely because windows 10 keeps a backup of previous installed versions and just applies whatever when it's uninstalled. I see no obvious reason why it wouldn't be compatible with my laptop. Also the stock antennas were designed for both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands and wireless a works fine. I replaced the stock antennas with far superior ones (stainless steel not some lousy printed stickers) stripped and resoldered from a HP laptop to vastly improve the signal quality. Previously it couldn't even maintain a stable bluetooth connection farther than 1m away now it works just fine through two reinforced concrete walls

Aug 15, 2018

The card that I got was made only for Lenovo laptops. Though it did support my hardware in Linux (Kali) but it didn't work in windows 7 or 10. I ordered another general version of the card, with the same number of pins and same location of the pins. the only difference is that the older card had some sort of extra identification FRU:04W6090. I am guessing the card is differently programmed for Lenovo and HP laptops because those companies have the habit of whitelisting different parts in their laptops. This new card that I got works perfectly fine, it started up right away after installing when I booted my computer. The drivers were already installed. I now have access to 5G networks and I think the range might have gotten a bit better as well. Hope this helps. Sorry for the late reply, was busy with school. And thank you guys for responding to this post.

firstcompsvc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
Exploring at the moment the fact that my HP 14-ab166us will not start AC-7260 card. I think it is because it is a FRU part number which belongs to Lenovo. The HP AC-7260 card I have in my other HP laptop that I tested in this unit works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS