News Intel Alder Lake Already Looks Confusing: 12 Configurations Possible

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
I'm more interested in Tiger Lake-H as a desktop chip at this point. Several leaks say it will be coming in 1H 2021, with 8 cores, avx512, dlboost.

Seems to me Alder Lake is being positioned to compete with AMD cores ... smaller and lower power, but matching AMD's AVX2 limitation. I'll be surprised if Intel doesn't create a 3D version, as with Lakefield Foveros 3D stacking.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel Intel in their scramble to try and disrupt AMD's onslaught, is actually confusing their customers more and more. First they came out with X number of "Lake" models. Then they try to create something different, i.e. big/little config (Alder Lake), and yet within the Alder Lake series, there are some models with no small cores which is a perplexing decision.

In any case, I am still unconvinced on the success of this big/little config on the desktop space. It will benefit the mobile space by delivering better battery life, but is a waste of die space on the desktop side of things. Not to mention that the switching between big and small cores mean another layer of software optimization, which is another point potential point of failure.

Reactions: panathas and Conahl

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I'm more interested in Tiger Lake-H as a desktop chip at this point. Several leaks say it will be coming in 1H 2021, with 8 cores, avx512, dlboost.

Seems to me Alder Lake is being positioned to compete with AMD cores ... smaller and lower power, but matching AMD's AVX2 limitation. I'll be surprised if Intel doesn't create a 3D version, as with Lakefield Foveros 3D stacking.
I have 66 previous generation (3 diff gens) deployed as desktop PCs - will replace them all with the high spec 4.5"x4.5" form factor NUC - even the oldest of our NUCs are more than adequate for processing power, it's the GPU that is becoming a limiting factor - alot of my employees are wanting dual displays - the oldest struggles with a single 2560x1440 while even the most recent are barely able to do dual 4K. So as far as being a desktop - even the 4C G7 variants would be quite usable - unless you intend to do alot of heavy lift - but for general office / daily use - hard to pass up - and the 8C G7 variant will be beast - will be interesting to compare to my i9900K systems.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
intels cpu line ups, have ALWAYS been confusing, come on, is it really needed to release cpu's that are so close to each other in price and specs ? when i upgraded from a core i7 930, i originally was going to get a 5830k on x99, then i thought about getting something on the other socket intel had at the time, socket 1156????? after i decided on a motherboard, i tried to decide on a cpu, after about 30 mins trying to decide which one to go with, and seeing that the price difference between each one was $50 or less, i just closed the browser windows, went to the local store, and grabbed an x99 board, 16 gigs of ram, and the 5830k, and was done with that headache. when AMD released ryzen, and then ryzen 3000, the choice was A LOT simpler, x570 board, 3900x, and 32 gigs of ram. didnt even bother looking at the mess that was intels lineup.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
seems every week i hear about another "lake" cpu and it's multitude of variations. at this point i don't even bother trying to figure them out. i don't even know where they fall anymore with different generations, chip sets and numbered nomenclature. i looked up a chart once and it was as clear as the muddy mississippi river during a churning flood stage!!

Reactions: panathas