News Intel Alder Lake-S 16-Core Could Bring Hybrid Architecture (big.Little) to Desktop

evilpaul

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I have a bunch of questions about this...

Does any version of Windows handle big.LITTLE at all or well? Microsoft seems to be having problems with the Windows Scheduler. NUMA, lots of cores, ... now, possibly, heterogeneous cores? Intel can spend more on software developer support than AMD, but would they have it working well while Alder Lake is relevant?

If the small cores also had support for SIMD stuff to supplement the big cores in MT tasks this might be competitive with 12 core AMD stuff in MT and have an advantage in less well threaded stuff assuming the clocks are decent and there's like a 30% IPC increase over Sky Lake.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Interesting if Intel is using Gracemont for its added vector processing in the server designs. I've seen an Intel recommendation to disable hyperthreading when avx512 is used in order to get best performance. It appears to me this could boost avx512 by 2x.

I presume this would also get rid of the mitigations for side channel attacks associated with hyperthreading.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
According to a new leak, Alder Lake-S will feature an implementation with Intel's big.Little hybrid architecture with eight small cores alongside eight big cores.

Intel Alder Lake-S 16-Core Could Bring Hybrid Architecture (big.Little) to Desktop : Read more
I have less than zero interest in this - my next upgrade from i9900K will be Rocket Lake - 14nm (high clocks) along with Willow Cove. Hope they offer a variant without integrated graphics. Not sure how or if Windows supports the big/little architecture - or how the little will be used.