News Intel Alder Lake-S CPU Reportedly Surfaces With 16 Cores, 32 Threads

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Reviews thus far have shown the difference between PCIe3 and PCIe4 to be rather inconsequential. While I initially thought Rocket Lake with PCie4 would be of interest, if Alder Lake with PCIe5 and DDR5 is coming in second half of 2021, that seems like the better upgrade path for me from my 9600k. Hopefully the Nvidia 4000 GPU series will be able to take advantage of PCIe5. 24 lanes would also be nice so that eight could be used for two NVMe drives and still have full 16 available for the graphics card.

Reactions: thisisaname

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... Alder Lake ... seems like the better upgrade path for me from my 9600k. ...
I'd expect Alder Lake to be aimed primarily at the mobile segment and possibly some very small form factor builds where no more than a low power draw is required.
If it will also be available for regular desktop is anybody's guess.

Reviews thus far have shown the difference between PCIe3 and PCIe4 to be rather inconsequential. While I initially thought Rocket Lake with PCie4 would be of interest, if Alder Lake with PCIe5 and DDR5 is coming in second half of 2021, that seems like the better upgrade path for me from my 9600k. Hopefully the Nvidia 4000 GPU series will be able to take advantage of PCIe5. 24 lanes would also be nice so that eight could be used for two NVMe drives and still have full 16 available for the graphics card.
The reason PCIe 4.0 doesn't tend to make much of a difference over PCIe 3.0 for today's graphics cards is that PCIe 3.0 is already providing enough bandwidth, so the additional bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 isn't being utilized. Adding even more bandwidth on top of that isn't going to help, and I would expect the performance to be more or less identical to the PCIe 4.0 numbers for any graphics cards released in the near-future. As such, I doubt we will be seeing PCIe 5.0 on consumer platforms for some years to come, as it would just increase motherboard costs without providing significant benefits. More lanes for things like storage could be nice, but there's no reason why Intel or AMD couldn't do that on PCIe 4.0 or 3.0 consumer boards if they really wanted to.

DDR5 could potentially make an appearance on some consumer motherboards in 2022, or perhaps late 2021, but it might not be substantially faster than DDR4 initially, and will probably cost a lot more.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I'd expect Alder Lake to be aimed primarily at the mobile segment and possibly some very small form factor builds where no more than a low power draw is required.
If it will also be available for regular desktop is anybody's guess.
Alder Lake is not a mobile product. It's the 1st 10nm desktop CPU from Intel and will replace Rocket Lake.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Did you even read this article?

"discovered benchmark submissions for one of Intel's future Alder Lake-S processors. The new breed of hybrid chips will make their way to the market sometime in 2021."

"Although Intel hasn't said, many believe that Alder Lake-S will usher in DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 support."

It does not say for sure it will have PCIe 5.0 ... you said it is coming , which is not confirmed at all.

TRENDING THREADS