Intel, AMD Earnings Expectation Cut, Nvidia Downgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Maybe nvidia should have put a 384bit or higher mem bus on the 680 after all... Then maybe they would have seen more positive cash flow... I know its the only reason I didnt buy one.

Ultrabooks aren't falling short imo. They perform well and I've seen the benches, they are amazing. It is just the prices are a bit too high and consumers are being brainwashed. A 15" Macbook Pro is $2000 yet people choose that over a same spec'd Asus Zenbook Prime for about $500-$600 less. Granted the Ultrabooks are 2" smaller. But still... IT MAKES 0 SENSE TO ME. Sigh, the ignorance of consumers.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]Maybe nvidia should have put a 384bit or higher mem bus on the 680 after all... Then maybe they would have seen more positive cash flow... I know its the only reason I didnt buy one.[/citation]

I really doubt a massive fall in Nvidia's cash reserves could be contributed to it's choice of memory bus for one of it's many products.

The story is really only a reflection of the sign of times we find ourselves living in. The Eurozone is in tatters, in the US the recovery is stalling and even in China economic growth is slowing down, all these macro economic issues are bound to be felt somewhere so it's no surprise these traditional chip makers are feeling the pinch.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Ultrabooks aren't falling short imo. They perform well and I've seen the benches, they are amazing. It is just the prices are a bit too high and consumers are being brainwashed. A 15" Macbook Pro is $2000 yet people choose that over a same spec'd Asus Zenbook Prime for about $500-$600 less. Granted the Ultrabooks are 2" smaller. But still... IT MAKES 0 SENSE TO ME. Sigh, the ignorance of consumers.[/citation]
Hey, come on. If I didn't buy the Macbook Pro I wouldn't be able to say I have a $2000 facebook machine.

/end sarcasm

[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]Maybe nvidia should have put a 384bit or higher mem bus on the 680 after all... Then maybe they would have seen more positive cash flow... I know its the only reason I didnt buy one.[/citation]
Regardless of the memory bus, the GTX 680 is a niche product that was never going to make up a significant part of Nvidia's revenue. The mainstream and low-end is where the real money is in the consumer market.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I see this as a positive for AMD maybe this is the little bit of breathing room they need to stay afloat. I said it before the day AMD goes out of business is the day consumers ever where suffer horribly in the PC market.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Ultrabooks aren't falling short imo. They perform well and I've seen the benches, they are amazing. It is just the prices are a bit too high and consumers are being brainwashed. A 15" Macbook Pro is $2000 yet people choose that over a same spec'd Asus Zenbook Prime for about $500-$600 less. Granted the Ultrabooks are 2" smaller. But still... IT MAKES 0 SENSE TO ME. Sigh, the ignorance of consumers.[/citation]

The same specs?!? Apple's main selling feature for their 15" Pros is the retina display and I don't think anyone else is offering a matching screen yet.

I think Apple (most likely unwillingly) laid a mean marketing trap to other manufacturers. Apple's goods are perceived as being very expensive but very high quality as well. However, in the last few years they've been pricing their products pretty competitively, although a lot of folks would not agree. Apple also explored many new niche sectors very suitable for their customer base (luxury tablets - and tablets are only that, ultra portable laptops). Their competitors were natively drawn in to COMPETE effectively for Apple's natural customer base. Unfortunately for the competitors they not only failed to compete in prices, but failed to match the quality (especially build quality and ease of use). And they were competing with Apple for customers that are naturally drawn to the latter being perceived as expensive (which is not a factor in this specific competition as we are looking at a high end market) but making quality products.

amkronos

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
AMD screwed the pooch with the bulldozer series of chips and this is the price they pay for not being able to compete with Intel's iSeries of processors. The only saving grace is their GPU's, but nVidia continues to thwart them at the high end niche market there as well.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Sakkura[/nom]Regardless of the memory bus, the GTX 680 is a niche product that was never going to make up a significant part of Nvidia's revenue. The mainstream and low-end is where the real money is in the consumer market.[/citation]
the "mainstream and low end" cards are the same chip just some smx's disabled and lower core clock speed hence the virtually identical scores of the 670 and 680. For every person who bought a 680 there were probably 5 who didnt not only because of the bus but also due to the limited supply for over 2 months. So even those that wanted one couldnt get one till after the 670 came out and lo and behold the early adopters (who traditionally pay for all the R&D and so on) put the breaks on their enthusiasm and their ordering. Ive got the cash in my pocket right now for a 680 but I refuse to buy one since its bottle necked and they all but just announced the 700 series with the announcement of the 660ti. What youre forgetting is that the people who play pc games are largely college educated and the 4 year degree holding people have less than 4% national unemployment. Sure nvidia can sell more of the mid and low range cards but they dont have the profit margin of the higher end chips. That means they have to sell more of them to make a profit. So on a macro economic scale Nvidia stepped in it big time. Intel on the other hand had record sales last year or the year before so of course they're going to come down a bit.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The issue Nvidia have is chip yields at TSMC and it is out of their control, they have a great and efficient design in the 6xx GF but can't get chips in sufficient quantity's. AMD is in the same situation with the Radeon's - hampered by TSMC's poor yields. As for Intel, they likely did SB to well and it is not much performance upgrade in the ivy beside some added efficiency so its hardly surprising they don't sell as much when the enthusiasts don't upgrade from SB.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Slightly improving high end products aren't going to turn around a financial problem. The main money maker is the mobile and other low-end stuff.

G

"I see this as a positive for AMD maybe this is the little bit of breathing room they need to stay afloat. I said it before the day AMD goes out of business is the day consumers ever where suffer horribly in the PC market. "

The only reason Nvidia got downgraded was because AMD already came out and said they stunk it up this quarter, and they figure Nvidia is in the same boat.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]I see this as a positive for AMD maybe this is the little bit of breathing room they need to stay afloat. I said it before the day AMD goes out of business is the day consumers ever where suffer horribly in the PC market.[/citation]

I don't know how much of a breather it will be when their earnings miss is set to be so huge. They're forecasting a $0.04 miss for Intel, but a $0.38 miss for AMD. The only way AMD will benefit from any of this news this week is if Intel and Nvidia news drowns out AMD's lack luster performance. I do agree with you, however. Even if you don't like AMD, if AMD goes under then everyone is going to end up paying more.

G

Overpriced intel chipsets an cpu's,crappy displays on expensive ultrabooks...aside from the nvidia fiasco stigma....no thanks...not worth the money they ask...

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Apple products retain value, two years later that MacPro is resell-able for almost the original price. It is like Japanese cars. You buy it, because down the road you get your money back. I know no other consumer electronics that can retain value.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Ananke[/nom]Apple products retain value, two years later that MacPro is resell-able for almost the original price. It is like Japanese cars. You buy it, because down the road you get your money back. I know no other consumer electronics that can retain value.[/citation]but u pay almost 500-750 premium on Macbookpro. The same spec laptop are 500-750 less. I can live without mac for 500-750.

sha7bot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
AMD won't be going out of business any time soon. Their GPU market will keep them afloat for many years to come and their APU market could gain traction if the ARM deal works out. If they manage to get two GPUs in the x-box 720, then they'll be golden for at least 7 years to come.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
>Nvidia Downgraded

*Meanwhile, at Radeon*

-Hey did you heard?
-Yeah
-(Both)LOLOLOLOLOLOOOL! Yeah, gimme that bottle of champagne, let's drink for the future!

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Good thing that the new unreal engine is coming - the Gtx680 is Amazing but gamers dont really feel like they want to spend that extra cash anymore. THIS is bad news for all of us bc if Nvidia and AmD stop pushing their products to the max then the evolution of graphics cards slows down . Game developers issue is that it takes a long time to make a good looking game thats where new Game engines like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbyte come in. You can run BF3 @ 6k resolution with a single 6870 @ around 28fps -so gamers dont feel the need to buy anything more- I infact bought 6870 crossfire setup but still want a Gtx670 sli setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.