Intel, AMD Fiercely Fighting For Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I didn't realize their market share was that far apart. Seems odd when so many of the gamers I know are thrilled to death with their Phenom 965's and HD6950's...

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]I didn't realize their market share was that far apart. Seems odd when so many of the gamers I know are thrilled to death with their Phenom 965's and HD6950's...[/citation]

The enthusiasts market is only a small part of the total PC market. Its not surprising at all. But, I just hope AMD can pull some more in with their new line of APUs.

G

Does anyone ever mention that Fusion will be powering tablets by the end of the summer???!!! - if not sooner?

How about the fact that Fusion is totally crippling and eating away at Atom?
and...last but not least, that Bulldozer is about to bulldoze INTEL straight down???

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah too bad this is happening, AMD chips and architecture are designed more for gamers and less expensive, while Intel definitely focuses more on enterprise and business use. Not saying that Intel chips aren't good for gaming, they're outstanding...just, I think AMD is a little more aimed towards the gamer with less dough to blow.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
LOL @Pat1234

Fanboy much. Taking Intel's market share with one new product line just isn't gonna happen. I don't like to pick sides, but the last few rounds have all gone to Intel. Lets face it: Core iX (1st gen) vs Phenom IIs is no competition. Core iX (2nd gen) vs Phenom IIs... If possible, even less competition. While I would be thrilled if AMD brought some real muscle to the table, realistically I don't see it happening.

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
toastninja17: The only reason that AMD is aimed towards the gamer with less dough to blow is that their processors are not at the top. Lest we forget the 1000$ Athlon FX-51 and it's successors before Intel pulled out the C2D. Both companies charge the most money they can for their products, at the moment AMD is behind, and has to charge less, especially to keep it's market share.

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Pat1234: You have to remember that even in the days of P4, when AMD's processors were superior to Intel in everything but the Mobile market, Intel still had some 80% market share. AMD has issues just with the Intel logo, regardless of processor quality, and it doesn't help to not have the most powerful or efficient chips like now. Hopefully Bulldozer will be able to beat SB, but given the market share, number of enigneers, and company pocket books, unfortunately AMD is on the losing side of statistics. Intel has way more money and engineers to throw at a problem, and as we all know from Civilization games... :)

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
That's nothing but good news. Nvidia and AMD duking it out means that both of their respective highest end cards will be priced equally, instead of Nvidia setting exorbitant prices as was the norm. Now, BOTH companies have exorbitantly priced cards, so suck it!

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Wile sandy bridge is currently giving AMD a nice big beatdown lol Its not like you cant game with a Phenom lol I have one its at 4.1ghz on the stock cooler that it came with and not even close to 60c so its nice and cool. And most games are much more GPU intensive. So I saved some cash on mu cpu/mobo combo got a nice GPU and I can play any game out right now with max or very close to max settings. All over 40 FPS and that very playable. So if I take the money saved by going AMD and get a second GPU for crossfire ( well apply the savings its not going to pay for it out right lol) Ill max outy any game at 60 FPS. So wile AMD is behind Intell there chips are still viable choices for the budget gamer.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I 100% agree but.......................Is this the right thred for this comment? lol

x4dm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]Wile sandy bridge is currently giving AMD a nice big beatdown lol Its not like you cant game with a Phenom lol I have one its at 4.1ghz on the stock cooler that it came with and not even close to 60c so its nice and cool. And most games are much more GPU intensive. So I saved some cash on mu cpu/mobo combo got a nice GPU and I can play any game out right now with max or very close to max settings. All over 40 FPS and that very playable. So if I take the money saved by going AMD and get a second GPU for crossfire ( well apply the savings its not going to pay for it out right lol) Ill max outy any game at 60 FPS. So wile AMD is behind Intell there chips are still viable choices for the budget gamer.[/citation]
While the Audi R8 is a nice car, my Honda Civic can get up to 100 MPH on the freeway if I want it to, and it can seat more people. So I took the money I saved and put a big spoiler on it (because front-wheel drive cars need more rear downforce) and a cold air intake on it... Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? Back in the days of P4, AMD was owning Intel in the processor wars; now Intel is owning AMD. Deal with it and start living in this reality.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Umm im confused. Based on what I wrote Its sonds like I was saying SB is better and I was dealing with it? lol

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
AMD's deal has always been to compete on price. They make processors that are typically below the beginning prices for Intel's new processors. I see laptops at the lower price ranges using AMD processors, more expensive laptops typically use Intel processors. The same thing probably applies to desktops, and certainly in the gaming world depending on budget.

If AMD wants more market share, they need faster processors to challenge Intel's new products. If Intel wants more market share, they need to bring out lower priced processors to challenge AMD's products.

I would rather see AMD gain a little market share, to put more competitive pressure on Intel. If AMD fades away then where will we be?

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
To be honest, I don't think AMD is going anywhere... EVER. This is simply because Intel doesn't want to battle it out in court when they're the ONLY processor manufacturer. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that if AMD began to hit single digits in market share that Intel wouldn't hand over some engineers and/or cash to "help" AMD out. Think about it.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
@greliu:
Also if AMD is no more, the courts are gonna have to split up Intel, which they probably should have done already after the antitrust cases.

Ok everyone needs to stop thinking that CPU speeds mean anything to the market. It doesn't matter who was "the best" at any point in time, what matters is who has what kinds of agreements with tier 1 OEM's. The vast majority of the market is made up of tier 1 OEM's and they don't sit there debating on whats faster. Their going for maximum profit margin along with brand recondition. This is why Intel basically gave their CPU's away for free while forcing the OEM's to only use Intel inside components. AMD being the smaller company can no possibly get away with rebating most if not all of the full cost of the CPU. Now that the childishness has ended your actually seeing AMD winning a few OEM design's here and there, mostly in the budget range.

Give it time and you'll see the market share eek up slowly, it won't ever be the highest but they should be able to get to 25% within five or so years. Providing Intel doesn't come up with some sort of crazy illegal strategy to keep them down. And before the fanboi's start their nonsense, this fight and the illegal actions of Intel go back to the 80's when IBM forced Intel to license x86 to AMD so as to create an alternate supply partner for the IBM line of miniature computers.

[citation][nom]jskilnyk[/nom]The enthusiasts market is only a small part of the total PC market. Its not surprising at all. But, I just hope AMD can pull some more in with their new line of APUs.[/citation]

I don't see very many "Enthusiasts" like ourselves going for a APU over a CPU. Most people looking towards BD are going to wait for Zambezi.

And while I like SB and QuickSync, I would probably prefer to wait for LGA2011 since that version of SB will have no GPU on die. Its just a CPU.

As for server, its a nice market to control. Even with only 10% of the market thats about $4 billion dollars a year.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Providing Intel doesn't come up with some sort of crazy illegal strategy to keep them down. And before the fanboi's start their nonsense, this fight and the illegal actions of Intel go back to the 80's when IBM forced Intel to license x86 to AMD so as to create an alternate supply partner for the IBM line of miniature computers.[/citation]
Ah those were the days, where IBM was the 'pappa bear' of computing and could bend vendors to do its will.
Of course who can forget back in November '09 when Intel paid AMD $1.25 Billion to settle an Anti-trust suit that started in '05!

The large gap is somewhat disturbing but not unexpected. When I bought my Phenom laptop the salesman tried to persuade me to upgrade to a Core-i5 machine. Apparently it runs "faster, cooler" and it won't overheat.

The general public buys this story too, which is sad.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, I am a huge AMD fanboy and have been back to my first AMD, a classic 386DX-40. Been AMD ever since. All of may main rigs sport AMD CPUs and GPUs.

That being said, the dominance by Intel in the CPU market will always exist unless Intel simply vanishes. Their base is simply too large and neither Fusion nor Bulldozer will make a significant difference in the point spread.

Regardless, competition is good and AMD crushes Intel in the GPU market. In the end, the consumer wins by having choices and great technology regardless of the source.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]I 100% agree but.......................Is this the right thred for this comment? lol[/citation]
Ugh, I know. I meant to put an "as well" in there somewhere so it would have made a little sense to talk about the GPU wars, but too late now.

Status
Not open for further replies.