News Intel and Partners Showcase "Green PC" That's 90% Recyclable

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
There is no such thing as a "green PC".

PCB are one of the worst E-Waste pollutors on the planet.

I hope the people buying those raspeberry Pi actually use them, and not do one project and throw the PCB in the trash.

so... what exactly is green? I mean technically all of a computer is pretty much 100% recyclable already if you want to try. Though its doubtful the plastic parts are all that recycliable, we know pcb can be recycled... the metals all can be recycled... the capacitors are made of ceramic copper and aluminum, all basically recyclable... I'm willing to bet if you don't count the plastic, a computer is already pretty close to 100% recyclable, so what's green? did they use recycled/recyclable plastic parts? that's about all i can think of.

Reactions: Glock24

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
"Green computer" is just hype.

"There are two SO-DIMM memory slots, a single M.2 slot, and one PCIe x16 expansion slot."
Hmmm, are they describing a MiniITX motherboard? Seem like change just to force change.

Amdlova

Distinguished
People only do e-waste on motherboard because the cooper has crazy high price. And yeah China make miracle, using old tech. Chinese motherboard with a decommissioned xeon v3 or v4 use intel chipset from 1155 at 1151. Old motherboard comes to life in another socket. I get a Chinese xeon 2667v4 for roughly 25 bucks at the launch same cpu have price tag 2000!

"Green computer" is just hype.

"There are two SO-DIMM memory slots, a single M.2 slot, and one PCIe x16 expansion slot."
Hmmm, are they describing a MiniITX motherboard? Seem like change just to force change.
Something else worth pointing out is that a system with a small motherboard like that isn't going to have as much room for upgrades. So you may end up replacing it sooner than might otherwise be necessary. Want to add some new ports for connectivity, or another drive for additional storage? Well, too bad, the motherboard doesn't allow for it, and you have to buy a new system instead.

And on that note, planning motherboards to last for at least several generations of processors might be a more effective way of making them "green". At this point, I don't think PC hardware really changes enough from one generation to the next where requiring new motherboards every-other year should be necessary. I can't really see much reason why a DDR5 motherboard built for Alder Lake or Zen 4 shouldn't be supported by new processors up until DDR6 becomes the new standard. And laptops could be built with upgrade-able CPU and graphics modules that are relatively simple to replace, and support processor upgrades within a given TDP for several generations to come.

D

Deleted member 14196

There’s no such thing as green anything. Electric vehicles are the worst non-green vehicles produced in the world as an example

consider all the materials, the plastic, which requires oil, all the electronic components in all the toxic minerals they contain

There is no such thing as green energy production nor will there be probably even in the next 100 years. All the energy it takes, all the lithium, all the toxic chemicals. There’s nothing green about it.

This is the pander to all the greeny weenies and try to make people feel better. The I’m so sick of peoples feelings that are not based in reality and all those predators, who pray upon them for sales

Will have green energy when we have fusion, because solar doesn’t cut it and neither does wind power.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Make it edible and I'll bite.
ed7.jpg

Reactions: bit_user

TheBeastFromOz

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
There’s no such thing as green anything. Electric vehicles are the worst non-green vehicles produced in the world as an example

consider all the materials, the plastic, which requires oil, all the electronic components in all the toxic minerals they contain

There is no such thing as green energy production nor will there be probably even in the next 100 years. All the energy it takes, all the lithium, all the toxic chemicals. There’s nothing green about it.

This is the pander to all the greeny weenies and try to make people feel better. The I’m so sick of peoples feelings that are not based in reality and all those predators, who pray upon them for sales

Will have green energy when we have fusion, because solar doesn’t cut it and neither does wind power.
Pretty much everything you said there is wrong, that's pretty impressive.

Reactions: bit_user and King_V
D

Deleted member 14196

Pretty much everything you said there is wrong, that's pretty impressive.

I don’t think I need to prove anything about the fusion statement because that isn’t going to happen anytime soon

Would you like more proof?

https://www.businessinsider.com/bui...tion-versus-gas-powered-vehicles-2019-11?op=1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/aut...-trucks-are-dirtier-than-you-think/ar-AAYyesF

So my statement about clean power holds, wind, and solar only account for 10% of total, which is a spit in the bucket

like I said, they’re dirtier to produce and you have to drive them at least 80,000 miles to become carbon neutral and even then I have my doubts. Let me tell you mining lithium is not eco-friendly, and it destroys the environment.

Do you have any evidence against my statement of clean power? No, I noticed that you don’t.

regarding the PC, even though it may be recyclable who’s going to do it? The fact is most things don’t get recycled they get thrown in the garbage heap. It’s more e-waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ingtar33

TRENDING THREADS