News Intel and VLSI End $4 Billion Patent Dispute in Delaware

cyrusfox

Distinguished
I don't believe this last line is wholly accurate (Only referencing new/active lawsuits)
The two parties agreed to settle the dispute in Delaware with prejudice, so the lawsuit cannot be brought to court again. VLSI agreed not to sue Intel's customers and suppliers over the five CPU patents at the issue of the case, whereas the processor giant agreed to dismiss its counterclaims. The two companies will not pay anything to each other.
Intel has agreed to dismiss its 2 counterclaims which already have a judgement against Intel totally over $3 billion($2.18 billion + $949 million), doesn't that mean they are going to pay that obscene amount? Looks like a big L to Intel, just prevents future fighting for the moment at a high extortion amount.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I don't believe this last line is wholly accurate (Only referencing new/active lawsuits)

Intel has agreed to dismiss its 2 counterclaims which already have a judgement against Intel totally over $3 billion($2.18 billion + $949 million), doesn't that mean they are going to pay that obscene amount? Looks like a big L to Intel, just prevents future fighting for the moment at a high extortion amount.

That doesn't make any sense. . . why would Intel owe money from their own counterclaims? That's not how any of this works. . .

Reactions: cyrusfox

anonymousdude

Distinguished

Different cases and trials.

Those two precious judgements are pending appeal, which is legally distinct from a counterclaim. A counterclaim just means that Intel is suing VLSI for something that is related to the initial claim as part of the same suit. The end goal is to either dismiss the suit or to at least mitigate the damage. It also allows future legal action to be on the table. Super simplified version is that VLSI claims patent infringement over Patent A. Intel counterclaims that patent A is invalid or something to that extent. Or that they own Patent B that is necessary for Patent A to even exist. I assume it's referring to something that Intel claimed for the Delaware case that they're dropping now.

Reactions: cyrusfox