Intel Announces Clover Trail+ for Smartphones & Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
meh... will probably find it's way into some low/mid-range products but I doubt that mediocre spec'ed chip made on a out-dated 32nm process will make any splash in the market.

A couple more generations and a more modern production technology and Intel might have a viable product.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Unless the devices in question are running Windows, I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in them, at least until Intel takes a sizable performance lead. If ever.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I'm not sure about you guys, maybe some do video encoding or some SETI calculations, but the most frequent operation I do with my phone (besides, ahem, talking) is CHARGING it (first Galaxy S). And oh eh, occasionally I use Opera browser, Skype, google mail, maps app. None of the mentioned would improve much from "mear powa!!!"

So who is looking for "OMG OMG MOAR POWAAAAR!!!" in smartphones, please show up and explain, what on earth are you doing with it.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]So who is looking for "OMG OMG MOAR POWAAAAR!!!" in smartphones, please show up and explain, what on earth are you doing with it.[/citation]

“640K ought to be enough for anybody.” -Bill Gates (1981)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]“640K ought to be enough for anybody.” -Bill Gates (1981)[/citation]
And for the time it was.
So which mega-duper-power-hungry-apps do you anticipate to use it with, so that "moar powaaar!" makes sense?

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]“640K ought to be enough for anybody.” -Bill Gates (1981)[/citation]

i think the clue there is in the year, i doubt you'll be using the same phone for 30 odd years. Its like ram atm, i could put 32gb of ram in my gaming rig if i wanted to but whats the point? i mean there is nothing at all that i do that would use all that at this time, maybe in like 4 or 5 years but by then i will have already upgraded (hopefully to DDR4 or w/e) Phones are the same, by the time that apps come out that use all that new power i will have already upgraded my phone. I still have a galaxy S which i use as my business phone and tbh i still havent found an app or anything that doesnt still work on it and its got ot be like 2 years old

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Why do people care that this is on a 32-nm process vs. a smaller process? That doesn't make it inherently bad, and power-consumption is relative. What's to say a 32-nm based mobile Atom is less power-efficient than, say, a Tegra-based or Qualcomm-based system for how it's intended to be used? I'm not saying that the Atoms do not have power-consumption issues, but might it be a good idea to just wait and see?

[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]I'm not sure about you guys, maybe some do video encoding or some SETI calculations, but the most frequent operation I do with my phone (besides, ahem, talking) is CHARGING it (first Galaxy S). And oh eh, occasionally I use Opera browser, Skype, google mail, maps app. None of the mentioned would improve much from "mear powa!!!"So who is looking for "OMG OMG MOAR POWAAAAR!!!" in smartphones, please show up and explain, what on earth are you doing with it.[/citation]
Because without pushing the hardware, the software won't advance. Would you rather be lugging around a cellular brick from the '80's?
This must be the most incorrectly-used and incorrectly-quoted statement. Gates never said that, nor did he ever imply it. In fact, Gates often voiced opposition to the low amount of RAM that the systems at the time supported, and advocated for a larger RAM support for the chipsets.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Gates never said that, nor did he ever imply it. [/citation]

Actually he did. Although he's been quoted both for saying that he never said it at all, and that what he meant by saying it (see the conflict there) was that at the time 640Kb was 10x as much memory as comparable systems had, and that he meant it would be enough for most people for at least 4-5 years ahead.

Technological advance is much faster today though. As performance increase on mobile platforms, software developers will exploit it and make ever more demanding applications. A platform that was top of the line 18 months ago, is only midrange by now.

I used the quote to make the point of the inane question of what I'd use it for. It's not a relevant question as progress right now almost dictate that if I don't have that power in a year or so, I am limited in my choice of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS