Intel Announces Core 2 Duo "On Steroids"?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
as long as you keep my sister out of it... :wink:

Damn it, Dade. It was months ago after I saw a photo of you and your sizzlin' sis that I asked you to hook me up with her. What are you waitin' for? I'm not gettin' any younger!

Cuddling??? You mean you're an old softie after-all? :tongue:

Er... Not exactly cuddling. Allow me to quote the great late Burgess Meredith in Grumpier Old Men (a 1995 movie that was rated PG13 before anyone gives me any grief about my shocking language):

-takin' the skin boat to tuna town!
-takin' old one-eye to the optometrist!
-puttin' the hot dog in the bun!
-goin' for a ride on the wild baloney pony!
-takin' the ol' log to the beaver!
-slippin' her the old salami!
-buryin' the boner!
-enterin' the holy of holies! Coitus Uninterruptus!

Now... since we were takin' potshots at QFX, let's get back to it. Does anyone think that Intel's new Skullduggery-whatever dual socket is going to wipe the floor with QFX Version 2? Think they might be similar? Essentially different? Memory type? Etc.?

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
If you tried to fake a super core from 2 or more cores, surely you are going to have issues with context switching etc... Wouldn't this kill a lot of the performance gains??? Not to mention the issues of keeping them in sync - a process can only a single execution path unless it is multi-threaded. Hence how can you split the workload? that is why multi-core has been developed...

Indeed, and thats why multicore is a rough way to go for more performance. Software developers would much rather have 30 or 40 GHz to play with instead of 8 cores, but physics being what they are - that just isn't going to happen.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Now... since we were takin' potshots at QFX, let's get back to it. Does anyone think that Intel's new Skullduggery-whatever dual socket is going to wipe the floor with QFX Version 2? Think they might be similar? Essentially different? Memory type? Etc.?
I don't think they'll be similar. Maybe a little bit faster but not by much. I still can't understand why AMD would launch the QFX if it was such a flop...Oh, sorry I forgot, almost everything they have released as of late was a big flop...that's if they bloodywell release the stuff to begin with. Sorry, didn't mean to rant like that but I'm just a bit frustrated, I just wish they would get their asses in gear to lower at least some GPU prices...

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
It looks promising for general computer users(the most common kind)

This should also help save good amounts of power in conjunction with speed step.

Also. look at all those 5 star ratings. :lol:
I also only notcied all the 5 star ratings now...wonder who was the bored one...

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
It looks promising for general computer users(the most common kind)

This should also help save good amounts of power in conjunction with speed step.

Also. look at all those 5 star ratings. :lol:

Awww, look at the odd one out! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
So much ignorance and hostility around this topic!
It’s for mobile chips only for now and you’re just getting an extra speed bump (next highest multiplier) for single threaded apps whilst the 2nd core shuts down to the new even lower power state that is being introduced at the same time.
It’s a nice little freebie and a simple and elegant piece of engineering. It’s part of the new mobile platform which is being released in May which also includes a dynamic FSB; it can switch between 400 and 800 MHz (effective).
The Santa Rosa platform sounds a decent evolution; details here - http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2007/04/17/Intel-Santa-Rosa-Revealed/p1

AMD need a bit more than a 65nm shrink of Turion X2 to compete with Intel. I bought a HP Turion X2 laptop last month and the CPU was hot and the ATI chipset’s integrated graphics were a joke; hooking it up to an external monitor was a farce. And people complain about Intel’s IGPs! I’ve already sold it and I think AMD need to get serious if they are going to close the gap on Intel in the mobile platform area.

Those 65nm X2s are looking good though for family builds that won’t be over-clocked. The X2 4800+ (2.5GHz) at ~£80 seems a good choice, at least until the E21xx series are available.

udontnome

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I don't remember most of the stuff, guy I was talkin to was talkin Larabee and I was tryin to get him to talk about penryn... So far, 8 cores, using p4 based cores (?!) that have been stripped of a some stuff and augmented in others. I shoulda paid more attention :? I wouldn't have thought they'd ever use that netburst crap again but hey, I see their gunna use the old p4m 90's for the new UMPC spec.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I don't remember most of the stuff, guy I was talkin to was talkin Larabee and I was tryin to get him to talk about penryn... So far, 8 cores, using p4 based cores (?!) that have been stripped of a some stuff and augmented in others. I shoulda paid more attention :? I wouldn't have thought they'd ever use that netburst crap again but hey, I see their gunna use the old p4m 90's for the new UMPC spec.

You made 0 sense there, killer. If you have questions about upcoming products, then ask away. I will fill you in the best I can.

udontnome

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Uhhh... I was talking with a development engineer at Intel. Sorry it didn't make any sense. I have to 'weasel' stuff out of him, if I ask him specifics he wont answer. :?