Intel Announces Core 2 Duo "On Steroids"?

Core 2 Duo with Automatic Overclocking - APCMag
Intel today announced new details of its forthcoming Santa Rosa PC platform, including a significant revision of the Core 2 Duo chip.

"We call this processor Core 2 Duo but really it's Core 2 Duo on steroids. This microprocessor is going to be more powerful than the previous generation," said Intel's mobility chief, Mooly Eden.

The new chips will be able to overclock one of the cores if the other core is not being used.

"The idea is the following," explained Eden. "If you are running a single threaded application, one of the cores can go to sleep, and the left over power can be used by the other core - we give it a turbo boost; the ability to run faster than it used to.

"This is not overclocking. Overclocking is when you take a chip and increase its clock speed and run it out of spec. This is not out of spec. Here, it is within the spec of the dual-cores, we just identify when one core is not using the headroom and we give it to the other core.

"This is called Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration Technology. We've had problems implementing it, but we've been able to do it in Santa Rosa," Eden said.

This might look a little like me pulling a 9-inch (post and running) but I've gotta bounce. Discuss please. I'll be back sometime later.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
A very interesting idea. Automatic hands-off overclocking. A nice and lazy way to get OC'd pefromance for those single-threaded apps. Now how 'bout some automatic OC for everday use? I like, but how much $$$?

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
This is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas in my book. Now that they mention it, it seems like an obvious thing to do to get the best of both worlds.

Bazukaz

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
It is a very smart idea. By using it , they will archieve better performance for single - threaded apps , while keeping power consumption low. It is interesting , however , how large will "dynamic overclocking" be :)

tubaloth

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Can they do this same thing with Quad chips. If only two are being used shut down the other two and use the "extra" power?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Good idea, and as always all good ideas are welcome. But we 'd rather go straight to a carbon nanotube, optical interconnection manufacturing process and put those 300GHz diamond processors in the market and get done with. Come on people, we will only live another 20-40 years, can't wait till i am 80 to enjoy a THz processor. hehe...
throw some money in you cheapos (CPU manufacturers)
do it for the good of human kind (from within your good hearts maybe?)
lol!
nah... something tells me they will still go for the money... LOL

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
That is one of those things that will get disabled in the bios. People will just overclock it and that is it.

Maybe the average joe will see a gain, the one that never overclocks... But the way I see it is like taxing and drugs... if drugs are legal the winners are the government instead of the dealer. They are looking to fork the overclock to their gain in selling the chip as it will have a "higher" rating than initially spec'd and certified leaving the overclock to be small and slim and not providing a bang for the buck.

Don't know.. We'll see.. We would have to see it in action...

As of now... we use the full power on both cores. All we have to do is a simple test... Shut down one core in the bios and then see if you can overclock higher. If you can, then the idea will be worthwhile. If you cannot, they are taxing us.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
That sounds like a really cool implementation to an already well architectured CPU.

I am curious how much of an "overclock" we are talking here. I know it wont be a clockspeed thing, but I have a hunch the increase wont be a huge margin.

Ninja, nice 1 star rankings btw. I'm glad someone is wasting their time following you around 1 starring you! I hope I can get that person to care about me that much :wink:

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Danke. Hopefully prices will be decent in about 5 weeks when I can save up. Probably getting new memory today, buddy owes me $50 for a concert ticket and is going to buy my PQI from me for $60 as he has an identical 1GB kit.

/offtopic

What do you think of this stuff?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820144062

Good reviews, great price. Seen it hitting 900mhz consistently (450 x 9 = 4050mhz :p) and some over 1000mhz. Anyone know where I can find a list of the clockspeeds/multipliers of the new Core 2 Duo cpus?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Core 2 Duo with Automatic Overclocking - APCMag
Intel today announced new details of its forthcoming Santa Rosa PC platform, including a significant revision of the Core 2 Duo chip.

"We call this processor Core 2 Duo but really it's Core 2 Duo on steroids. This microprocessor is going to be more powerful than the previous generation," said Intel's mobility chief, Mooly Eden.

The new chips will be able to overclock one of the cores if the other core is not being used.

"The idea is the following," explained Eden. "If you are running a single threaded application, one of the cores can go to sleep, and the left over power can be used by the other core - we give it a turbo boost; the ability to run faster than it used to.

"This is not overclocking. Overclocking is when you take a chip and increase its clock speed and run it out of spec. This is not out of spec. Here, it is within the spec of the dual-cores, we just identify when one core is not using the headroom and we give it to the other core.

"This is called Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration Technology. We've had problems implementing it, but we've been able to do it in Santa Rosa," Eden said.

This might look a little like me pulling a 9-inch (post and running) but I've gotta bounce. Discuss please. I'll be back sometime later.Intel engineers are really earning their pay, now. One good thing about this is that it won't require any vCore boosts, thereby not affecting chip-life, cooling difficulties or TDP/heat output. :)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
*Ninja goes crazy over the ridiculously low prices...*

...... RAM REVIEW TIMEEEEE!!!!!!!

BOOYAKA BOOYAKA BOOYAKA BAMBOCLAAAAAT......

damn dude... lay off the caffeine... it's messing with your head. :tongue:

Side note about stars: I bet it is Taco... he seems like the kind of guy to do that, lol j/k.