Intel Announces New Atom SoC ''Tunnel Creek''

Status
Not open for further replies.

danish_2828

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm trying to understand Intel's naming system. "Tunnel Creek"?

Marketing Director: "Where did you go this past weekend?"

Sales Rep: "The wife and I road up to Yorktown"

Marketing Director: "Got any other traveling planned?"

Sales Rep: "We're planning on going to Tunnel Creek in a couple weeks"

Marketing Director: **LIGHT BULB "IN HEAD**

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I wondered how long it would be until Intel pushed into this market. It seemed like this this was bound to happen.

I'll be interested what they bring to the table - HyperThreading and VT could be interesting...

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]It's a 600MHz single core processor. Draw your own conclusions.[/citation]

not to familiar with sarcasm???

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I think I'm missing something. Why does one need virtualisation on a phone, printer, or in-vehicle entertainment system? Those sound fairly closed as far as systems go.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelzehr[/nom]I think I'm missing something. Why does one need virtualisation on a phone, printer, or in-vehicle entertainment system? Those sound fairly closed as far as systems go.[/citation]

I need my printer to virtualize another printer to print to it from wihin itself.

The obviosity levels are off the charts! (joke)

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]danish_2828[/nom]I'm trying to understand Intel's naming system. "Tunnel Creek"?Marketing Director: "Where did you go this past weekend?"Sales Rep: "The wife and I road up to Yorktown"Marketing Director: "Got any other traveling planned?"Sales Rep: "We're planning on going to Tunnel Creek in a couple weeks"Marketing Director: **LIGHT BULB "IN HEAD**[/citation]

Actually Intel has a long history of naming new processors after rivers in California and other US states.

Not knowing how big or small river Tunnel Creek is the naming creek makes me think Intel has run out of rivers to get names from ..... that is A LOT of processors ;).

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
i have a netbook that has an amd 64bit dual core, a ATI 3200, and 4 gigs of ddr2 800mhz ram and for some reason it workes much much better than my older atom....can i get a 64bit dual core and a good graphics chip from the intel side of the house in a netbook?????? no? ok then... back to playing HL2 and CSS on the netbook then....

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is what we need, x86 plaguing new markets. If you don't need compatibility with the PC market, why use x86? It's slower, uses more power, and more expensive to make because of the decoder transistors.

Intel seems deranged. First they wanted to kill x86 with the Itanium because the instruction set was so bad, now they want to put it in GPUs (Larrabee), and phones. I think they need lithium more than silicon there, for their mental illness.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What do you do when your company produces a turd?

Polish it until it looks like something solid, and produce it in 30 different flavors.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]yebuddy[/nom]But will it play Crysis?[/citation]
why say it? the joke is old as hell and it gets voted down to -20 each time.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]why say it? the joke is old as hell and it gets voted down to -20 each time.[/citation]

I think it's an internet way of communicating they're gay and looking for partners without being too open about it.

There's a lot of "Gayspeak". Crysis is one. Using terms like FTW (For the Win, how gay can you get?), Epic Fail (show me someone that thinks this misuse of the word Epic is cool, and you're looking at a flamer), "eye-candy", etc... So, basically, they're advertising to other people, without being so obvious about it. That's the best I can figure out. Why else would anyone be so lame as to say "Epic Fail" and think they are sounding cool? No one is that dorky. You ask a perfect question too. Why would anyone think they are being original, funny, etc... by asking if Crysis will play it? It's got to be Gayspeak to find others. What else makes sense?

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelzehr[/nom]I think I'm missing something. Why does one need virtualisation on a phone, printer, or in-vehicle entertainment system? Those sound fairly closed as far as systems go.[/citation]
Well, they don't have to be closed. For example on the mobile phone you can run the network management software in one VM and be protected and allow the user to mod the UI stuff. This way your phone will not stop working if MP3 player crashes. This could be very useful in cars also. You can have some features control by on VM and other by other VM. It just gives you flexibility. The only problem I see is that people are going to use it for DRM crap first.

G

With the atom processor,you might be able to run some synth software, to make your chinese 900CC engine sound like a real V8 3,6L one!
Just buy one of those chinese 15" bass speaker, and you're set!

At traffic jams,you might even be able to upload tetris or check your mails online (via FM radio,or something) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.