Intel Announces Quark, Its Smallest Silicon Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Sounds like Intel will start to provide hardware for some exciting new products. What architecture does it use? I'm assuming x86?

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I think I may be wrong, but people really like their stylish watches. As the writer has said there may well be a huge sale of these smart watches in the beginning, but intel would do better to develop smart kits that designers can incorporate in normal watches. Heck I know many women are really serious about what watches men wear. Not to mention themselves. We're talking about jewellery here. Giver me a waterproof voice activated ring and watch (stylish) that I can wear that can serve as a phone. Bring it on. That's actually cool. Beats having to lug a big ass phone around.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I think I may be wrong, but people really like their stylish watches. As the writer has said there may well be a huge sale of these smart watches in the beginning, but intel would do better to develop smart kits that designers can incorporate in normal watches. Heck I know many women are really serious about what watches men wear. Not to mention themselves. We're talking about jewellery here. Giver me a waterproof voice activated ring and watch (stylish) that I can wear that can serve as a phone. Bring it on. That's actually cool. Beats having to lug a big ass phone around.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I wonder how this will translate to their desktop and mobile lines? It is nice to see Intel, arm and apple with others making strides in the mobile sector. This is the kind of stuff I dreamed of as a kid!

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

What has happened to the resilience and fortitude of the people in our society when something that weighs mere ounces and rests comfortably on the palm of your hand and fits in most pockets is described as some "big ass" device that one must "lug" around?

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Only useful if it can beat ARM Cortex M0+...their power levels are even lower than TI's MSP430 which used to be the lowest though it's still cheaper.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
What has happened to the resilience and fortitude of the people in our society when something that weighs mere ounces and rests comfortably on the palm of your hand and fits in most pockets is described as some "big ass" device that one must "lug" around?

I'm sorry, but my phone will never replace my watch. It takes two seconds for me to look at my watch and know the time, date, and day. To use my phone for that exact same purpose I'd need to stand up (I'm 6'5" so most chairs put my legs at a sharp angle, making getting into my pocket difficult), reach into my pocket and pull out my phone, press the wake button, and THEN find out the time, date, and day.

Why would I ever forgo a watch to replace it with a more cumbersome method; one I don't always have with me and which isn't always charged? If I need the time, I need it, but my phone isn't always there or isn't always available.

So yeah, my phone will never replace my watch. I might get a new watch, but it definitely won't be smart watch; not until I get 2 year battery life from it.

I don't know about you, but I am surrounded by clocks. There is one on the computer at all times, which is where I spend the vast bulk of the day. Then there is one in the living room where I spend what little down time I get. Then there is one in the car, in the basement, on the thermostat in the hall, and for that rare moment that I happen to be in a place without a clock then I can spend the effort to dig my phone out of my pocket...

But the biggest thing about having a smart phone are alarms and calendars. If there is some place important I need to be then it is added to my calendar with a reminder that gives me plenty of time to put away what I am doing and travel to where I need to go. The rest of the time I simply don't need to worry about time anymore, and that is quite liberating.

"This message is to inform you that I am soiled

-sincerely, your pants"

Smart clothes? No thanks.

This tech would be much better used for smart home applications. Many more devices could be sold to a much wider audience, with a much more justifiable price while keeping profits relatively high.

Geef

Distinguished
CaedenV
Quote:
"This message is to inform you that I am soiled

-sincerely, your pants"

Smart clothes? No thanks.

This tech would be much better used for smart home applications. Many more devices could be sold to a much wider audience, with a much more justifiable price while keeping profits relatively high.
----------

I think it might be useful for smart clothes like disposable baby diapers that do something when the kid drops a load just so you don't need to check all the time. ;)

Jonathan Marsh

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Won't be long until these are powered biologically and we can get oled tattoos. I never wear a watch, but I wouldn't mind an embedded oled touch screen. No worries about battery power as long as you are alive.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Here's what happened. A company launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the first "smart watch" working with the iPhone. Everyone saw this and thought, "Apple is trying to grab this up. This will be the next big thing. We can't let Apple beat us to it" so we now have Nissan, a car company, trying to make a smart watch that tells you how your car is doing... I think Intel just said, "hey, if everyone wants to make these things, I guess we could spend a little on chips for them. Makes us a little more money". It's no more than what chip makers have been doing forever - trying to make their chips smaller, more powerful, while pulling less power and generating less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.