Intel Announces SSD DC P4500 and P4600 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most interesting product for the average consumer is the M.2 Optane version used as a cache. It even makes a system with an SSD feel more responsive.

You do need a modern computer (Kaby Lake I believe), but the coolest thing is that you can buy a $45 version and drop it in as a fast cache for a system that only has an HDD. Just buy an SSD you might say... sure, but for a lot of people that can lead to confusion and even severe problems.

If I had a relative with a compatible computer with ONLY an HDD I'd probably just drop in an M.2 Optane device (based on the results from places like PCPER).

(for my above comment I might the SSD could cause issues due to CLONING which isn't always perfect, and also just scares people. However, not sure the same class of people would even think to drop in a "cache" device either...)

WeldonB8

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I agree 100%, I'm in the process of customizing an off the shelf pc for my mom and started to do the same thing along with other upgrades, luckily the first I purchased was an SSD and then thought about the point you made and decided to keep it simple (ram, adequate cooling, bigger display etc.) But Ill keep the SSD for it since its big enough to not need a platter so she'll be fine with just a single drive.

BoredSysAdmin

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I smell Intel PR poop here. No way in heck TLC nand is so much faster than MLC. Even current leader in SSD - ie Samsung shown us that EVO (3d TLC) could be made pretty fast, but no matter what - MLC is much faster (in Pro models)
New controller or not. Looking at specs - everything is rated "up to", not sustained.
Willing to bet these new drives have healthy SLC cache and performance would drop drastically ones data tested is beyond the cache size.

It's a product announcement, NOT a review as you know so let's just get out there so others aren't confused.

As for your TLC worries, you mention this indirectly, but didn't quote this:
"The performance increase is surprising in light of the transition to TLC NAND, which typically results in lower performance.."

Any company buying this en masse should be looking carefully at the cost vs performance benefits. It's not "Intel PR poop" likely since the average consumer isn't the target. Educated administrators are.

The cache, NAND cost, controller and software architecture appear carefully optimized around performance vs dollar. All we can do is wait for reviews.

*For a video editing consumer with a half-decent PC (i7-3770K) but not amazing there's too much changing right now for me to rebuild my system which may include a prosumer PCIe SSD. Intel OPTANE looks awesome, but only for Kaby Lake AFAIK. Ryzen is interesting, and looking for at least 8C/16T but no Optane.. newer Intel CPU's coming with better value (i.e i9) and more than 8C/16T? .. may see other memory changes in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS