Intel Announces Three New Bay Trail-M SoCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to the day, where all the hardware can go by with passive cooling and the form factor becomes so small that you can carry a full fledged gaming desktop in your pocket, with no compromises.

It's hard to not be impressed these days with the TDP. 7.5W when quad cores used to be easily 80w TDP parts. It will soon come a day when they will use little to no power and do the same thing our desktop chips do.

Technology. I wonder if the guys who started this all with those giant vacuum tube transistors thought this would happen.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I own the Celeron 2820 and I use it strictly for the internet with a windows 8.1, it's enough to surf the web, and do simple operations, even a little bit of photoshop is okay. I highly recommend these CPUs, they are worth it. I also own the AMD A8 CPU which is the concurrent of the N2000s CPU, but I was not really impressed at all, they overheat and the fan is noisy (tested on Brix configuration), and hopefully their newest CPUs are much better. These CPUs are intended for mobile configurations but we find them on mini desktops as well (Nucs, Brix....etc). If tablets had not been introduced to the market a few years ago, thanks to the smartphone market, software companies would have never optimized their codes and hardware vendors would have never done anything to lower the wattage of their products: we have tablets that want to emulate the computers and computers that want to be lighter and tinier with as much power as possible, in the end we are getting away from the industrial model of the 20th century, and most likely within a few decades we will only use solar energy to be able to power these little devices. It is all good for us and will allow some countries to reduce their energetic dependence from the black gold. Finally some positive changes.

What exactally is AMDs equivalent offering? I looked through all of their offerings and the closest AMD quad core was a 18w TDP, double that of Intels version.

These have a very specific market, ultra low power.

I am pretty sure if they were failing Intel wouldn't continue to make them. I bet their sales numbers are better than we would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.