News Intel Appoints New Head for Foundry Business

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The problem with bringing in an "outsider" is that lack of expertise in the fab business will limit his ability to know when he's being fed BS. That's key for knowing who to hire & fire, as well as for resolving disagreements that arise among his direct reports and their departments.

I've only seen this play out at the middle-manager level, though. Not sure how much of an impediment it is in senior management. When you get high enough, in these organizations, they start to look more and more like investment banks.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
As someone who worked in manufacturing for a couple decades, " but he has vast experience in supply chain management, planning, and strategic allocation of resources " is the most important skillset for the top manager.
Intel has to sell and deliver products to support making them. It is not just "build it and they will come". The resources will have to be allocated for manufacturing and development, but that is only part of the story. Intel already could be competing with Samsung for foundry business.

From the information this article presents, this guy seems like a great hire.

Reactions: KyaraM

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
As someone who worked in manufacturing for a couple decades,
I definitely respect your experience and insight, but I'd just point out that he's also managing what's effectively a scientific research organization consisting of probably thousands of scientists and process engineers. Those folks need to deliver breakthroughs on a consistent basis, for IFS to remain a viable option for their top customers. The closer we get to the physical limits, the bigger that challenge becomes.

I'm not saying they should've put a particle physicist in that role, but at least having someone with experience in the semiconductor fab industry seems like a good idea.